PDA

View Full Version : Not worried, just curious

Not worried, just curious

NickP961
02-06-2012, 07:50 PM
My Corn Snake, which I've had for over two years now, seems to dislike the warm side of his cage. He is ALWAYS on the cold side in his favorite hide. Just wondering why? His warm end is set on a thermostat with a heat pad at about 84 degrees. Cool end around 75 or so, maybe 74. Just wondering if anyone has every had this before? I'm not concerned, yet, but just looking for some answers. Thanks in advance!

Christen
02-06-2012, 08:34 PM
I think some are just like us and prefer colder were others prefer warmer. I have a handful of them that I almost never catch on the warm side. I have tried switching hides and it doesn't matter they stay on the cool side.

Where are you checking the temp?

NickP961
02-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Yeah, I have switched his hides and its the same. I'm checking the temperature on the aspen, not air temperature.

Christen
02-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Good are you checking it under the aspen by the heater? You snake is probably just a cooler snake.

NickP961
02-06-2012, 09:03 PM
I sure am. I just think he likes the cold, but I was just making sure I shouldn't worry. Thank you!

beautifullywild77
02-06-2012, 09:15 PM
I have a few babies that are cold siders! No matter what I do!

Wyldrose
02-06-2012, 11:40 PM
I have a couple that only like the warm side to digest and poo... lol

Tavia
02-07-2012, 01:01 AM
Most of mine, no matter the species, spend around 85% or more time on the colder side, except right after eating and sometimes while in shed.

bitsy
02-07-2012, 03:30 AM
Yep, the majority of mine are Cold Siders as well.

If he's eating well and digesting normally, then whatever both you and he are doing - it's working!

Dakota314
02-07-2012, 05:47 PM
If hes on the cold side in his favorite hide, he might be there just to be in his favorite hide. My snake Nina only uses one of her hides, even though she has 3. If its on the cold side, she will hide there. If its on the warm side, she will hide there. But I agree with everyone else, as long as your snake is healthy, no worries.

Tick-Tag
02-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Both of my two 3 year old are like that. I've had them for 5 month now and I think I have seen them in the warm side about 5 times and never seen any of them resting there. Usually they don't even rest in the middle.

Before I got them, they had been living their whole life in in viv that was too cold for them and it didn't have a warm side or a cold side and I have been wondering if they have gotten so used to living in a colder environment, that they can't get used to correct temperatures.

I have also been feeling bad about that they live most of their lives in a limited space because they only use a smaller part of their viv and I have been thinking if I should lower the temperature, even though that should/would be too cold for them - on paper at least.