PDA

View Full Version : crimped tail

crimped tail

Bethany02086
02-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Hello, i am new here. i have a question about my snakes tail. She is a year old and just shy of 2 ft. the last inch or so of her tail is crimped. not just on kink but back and forth crimps. it started with her first shed, in kink appeared, i thought maybe her tail had gotten caught somewhere somehow or something. but with each successive shed she has gotten a new crimp, or so it seems. the sheds are complete. The cast skin is entirely whole. i know because we inflate them gently to get them to dry nicely. could this be genetic? she has beautiful coloring and the crimps are rather small and don't seem to effect her at all. thank you for your opinions.

Shmoges
02-11-2012, 08:52 PM
In Japan its considered lucky to have a cat with a kinked tail and the more kinks the more lucky the animal, maybe it applies to snakes too?

komodo_28
02-11-2012, 10:06 PM
My opinion is that since it is on the very tip of the tail I wouldnt worry about it too much but if it continues to get worse then I would worry and take her for a vet visit. I hope others chime in with more experienced thoughts.

Bethany02086
02-11-2012, 10:50 PM
I am not worried as she is very active already and it is no where near her tail vent. I am more curious than anything

mini4x
02-12-2012, 10:00 AM
I have two snakes with the same kinks.. I was worried it got hurt somehow, but I can't see how, I feed in small bins that lunchmeat comes in and am fairly certain I didn't squish it..

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-rjSnYFee-Us/TwTpcLtX8oI/AAAAAAAABHc/KspVrjrL1J0/s576/2012-01-04_07-55-40_661.jpg

Same here though other wise seems healthy and happy..

Some people say it could be a genetic defect.

Bethany02086
02-12-2012, 01:06 PM
glad to know my snake is not the only one like that. I wonder though if i should still breed her? my husband and i were hoping to try it at least once when she get's older. she has such vivid and distinct coloring it would be cool to be able to pass that on. plus we think it would be an educational experience for the kids