PDA

View Full Version : Urgent, all yearlings regurgitated

Urgent, all yearlings regurgitated

Reptilekyle64
02-14-2012, 02:25 PM
I regret not making this thread sooner, as the issues has gone on for 3 weeks. So the story: Everything was normal as always and I was planning on feeding all the snakes Thursday on feb 2nd and had mice thawed and like normal fed all the adults as well as the yearlings. Most ate and everything was fine and I had left the room for night. During friday night had a party here, just opened the bins so a few people could take a glance everything seemed normal still just music was really loud. Saturday I skipped checking on them and wait till Sunday to do snake work. I check adults they are all fine but when I get to my yearlings (2011 hatch date) nearly everyone of them regurged there meal. (BUT) it appeared that they all threw up around the same time and the pinkies were very digested down, with all the remains just being very tiny pink blobs. So questions flew threw my head like: Did heat malfunction? No it didn't appear so. Were the mice bad? they were the same bag as normal from Rodent pro as I have been feeding them so I didn't blame that right away.

So I decided I was going to feed them again with the bag of pinkies from rodent pro, I waited at least 3 days before giving the meal to them again and gave them each one pinkie and kept a close watch. So they all ate a day passed and everything was fine, 2nd day was fine So i was confused and shrugged the third day came and I got the same results. All babies but like 4 regurged, so that sent me in a panic, and I should have made this thread then but I decided I would again wait a few days and try a different bags of pinkies that I had bought at a show last month. So thawed ( rodent pro) pinkies out and went to feed every snake,

Most of the hatchlings run within the same shed cycle and most had shed this week or last so it further put me off about the regurge, Before feeding I went to remove the sheds from the bins and came across my sunkissed snow and was SHOCKED,( Mind you this was a perfect healthy keeper and had no noted problems and was developing amazing colors with each shed.) The only way to describe it is something had to go wrong with the snakes regurge as they 100% healthy snake got what it looks like is mutiple kinks starting an inch past the neck and looks like its goofly kinked an entire half an inch and the snake can not use this area anymore. I have massaged it I appears if the small aera is slightly blackned the animal went from being healthy to me being almost postive that I will loose him in a few days, Can anyone fill me in with any info I have never came across this and was extremely upset.

I have fed the animals and day 1 they are all keeping it down I will update this is they keep them down or not, Also wanted to note that My older animals are all doing fine and haven't had any feeding issues and I haven't had an adult regurge in years.

Carinata
02-14-2012, 02:32 PM
To me it sounds like an issue with the frozen rodents. Maybe they sat out to long before they were thawed or something. I would suggest getting a new batch of rodents and trying a week from now.

starsevol
02-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Wow...ok.....first thing....
when a snake regurges, you should not offer food of any kind for 10 days. NOTHING....feeding at their normal schedule probably is what made them regurge again. They need time for the flora in their guts to replenish.
2 regurges in a row like that could really compromise them, I hope they make it.
Please get ahold of some Nutribac, I think Kathy Love carries it.

After 10 days, feed them nothing larger than a pinkie head. Keep them on pink heads for at least 2 weeks......or more. Then go to half pinks.....They should not see a whole pinky again for at least a month. Rushing them can kill them, so please take it easy.....

As far as the kinked sunkissed kid, I had something similar happen with a lavender. When I got her the breeder told me that there was a very slight bend in her neck. I handled her and handled her and never felt it. She grew, did fine. When she was 2 years old she went on a hunger strike. Then shed and was kinked.... and grew more and more kinked with every shed. Within 6 months she was a corkscrew and could only eat small prey items. Soon she couldn't even slither in a straight line. I had to have her euthanized.......

Reptilekyle64
02-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Wow...ok.....first thing....
when a snake regurges, you should not offer food of any kind for 10 days. NOTHING....feeding at their normal schedule probably is what made them regurge again. They need time for the flora in their guts to replenish.
2 regurges in a row like that could really compromise them, I hope they make it.
Please get ahold of some Nutribac, I think Kathy Love carries it.

After 10 days, feed them nothing larger than a pinkie head. Keep them on pink heads for at least 2 weeks......or more. Then go to half pinks.....They should not see a whole pinky again for at least a month. Rushing them can kill them, so please take it easy.....

As far as the kinked sunkissed kid, I had something similar happen with a lavender. When I got her the breeder told me that there was a very slight bend in her neck. I handled her and handled her and never felt it. She grew, did fine. When she was 2 years old she went on a hunger strike. Then shed and was kinked.... and grew more and more kinked with every shed. Within 6 months she was a corkscrew and could only eat small prey items. Soon she couldn't even slither in a straight line. I had to have her euthanized.......

Thanks for the Info, I understood to wait I just didn't know the wait the extra time and thinking about it I wish I waited. And that lavender sounds terrible close to this snow, as he cant really slither very straight anymore.:awcrap:

starsevol
02-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the Info, I understood to wait I just didn't know the wait the extra time and thinking about it I wish I waited. And that lavender sounds terrible close to this snow, as he cant really slither very straight anymore.:awcrap:

Can you post a pic of your kinky kid?
I am so sorry....

bitsy
02-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Maybe a bit basic for which I apologise, but have you double-checked the temps with a different thermometer than you'd nornally use? Is there any chance there could've been a temp spike which had cleared by the time you checked?

Too hot can cause both regurges and neurological damage which might affect posture and the ability to move.

starsevol
02-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Maybe a bit basic for which I apologise, but have you double-checked the temps with a different thermometer than you'd nornally use? Is there any chance there could've been a temp spike which had cleared by the time you checked?

Too hot can cause both regurges and neurological damage which might affect posture and the ability to move.

I did not think of that.......
the initial regurge might have had something to do with the party. If there was loud music and alot of vibrations....
the second regurge probably had something to do with eating too soon after the first regurge.....

Reptilekyle64
02-14-2012, 03:30 PM
The thermostat is still on the heat and to touch everything seems normal I haven't noticed an un normal amount of snakes away from the heat. But there is always a chance something went wrong. Here is are the pictures of the sunkissed snow, she has regained some of the motor control but you can still see a clear black spot on her left side near the belly and still appears with the weird slight kinks.
http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv8/darksolarian64/sunkissedsnow016.jpg
http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv8/darksolarian64/sunkissedsnow018.jpg

AliCat37
02-14-2012, 04:24 PM
The pictures of your snow looks normal to me, I'm not seeing the kinks?

MysticExotics
02-14-2012, 08:06 PM
I did not think of that.......
the initial regurge might have had something to do with the party. If there was loud music and alot of vibrations....
the second regurge probably had something to do with eating too soon after the first regurge.....

This is my guess too. The noise/vibrations could have stressed them out & caused a regurge, & the following regurges are likely from 1) being fed too soon after a regurge & 2) feeding normal prey size after a regurge.

I agree that you should invest in some NutriBAC, I feel it should be something all reptile owners keep on hand.

Search the regurge protocol, & follow it to a "T".

I wish you the best of luck with your babies. I know how stressful this can be.

Reptilekyle64
02-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Sorry for a late update but it has been a busy week. First off I am proud to announce that the last feeding was a complete success and regurge free! I feel that it must have been the bag of mice that was bad, and am glad I didn't get the same results last time. I will keep a close eye on them and will be a lot more careful following feedings after a regurge.
My sunkissed snow hasn't accepted a meal yet, but the dark coloration is starting to subside and she regaining the motor control ability within that area I really am not sure what happened there but I am hoping that she will be ok. Thanks again for all the advice and I hope this problem is put behind me.

hypnoctopus
02-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Please keep us updated! I'm glad to hear things may be going back to normal.

RobbiesCornField
02-20-2012, 02:14 AM
That dark spot does look like it's in the area of the gall bladder, which is normally cause for concern, However, if it's starting to subside, you may have avoided the worst on this one.