PDA

View Full Version : Snake vomiting advice needed

Snake vomiting advice needed

Cerian.abbott
02-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Hi. I have a 9 month old corn snake (about 15 inches), the last two feeds he has vomited the food back up, I feed him a pinky when when he started his shedding cycle (which I now see I shouldn't have) and he vomited it up part digested 3 days later. I left him to shed for a week and he did a complete shed perfectly. I got told he should be on fluffys by now, so I feed him a fluffy a day after his shed (he has Never had anything bigger than a pinky) he ate it fine but once again 3 days later he's vomited it up part disgested. He's well In him self, no breathing problems, no mites no abrasions to mouth and consented tounge flicker and bright eyed.

He lives in a small varrium Suited to his size with two vents at each side, he has hides at both ends and a water bowl at the cold end. I use a heat mat with a thermostat, I keep the hot end about 30 degrees and cold end 20 degrees. I use two digital themometers at each end to read the temperature. I also use newpaper with aspen bedding on top as his varrium bedding.

I just wanted it know what's best to do, shall I wait 10days to re-feed (so he rebuilds his stomic acids) and keep him on pinkys a bit longer?
Thanks Ceri

ken347
02-18-2012, 04:11 PM
You might want to clarify for people that your using Celsius as your tempature unit

bitsy
02-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Yes, a 10 day wait is advisable. Small items for a few feeds also - maybe start on pinkie heads only (if you chop them up whilst still frozen, it's less icky than it sounds).

It does sound like feeding was at the root of both problems. Many Corns eat during shed without problems (like mine), but many also seem to have a problem with it. At least now you know and you can avoid it in future. Sadly you also definitely picked the wrong time to bump up to the next size. You'll need to stick with pinkies for a few feeds as he recovers. Their digestive systems can be very delicate following a regurge and take a while to settle back down.

If you look at the top of the "Feeding" section of the forum, there's a stickied FAQ which includes the full regurge protocol, written by Kathy Love (a world expert on keeping Corns and a member here).

The setup and temps (even allowing for the cross-Pond conversion!) sound fine. Maybe you could add another hide in the mid-point between the warm and cool zones. Corns also love a bit of ground cover so that they can sneak around - I've found that plastic foliage looks good and does the job for the snakes.

Good luck - keep us posted!

Charlotte
02-18-2012, 05:13 PM
I would also immediately invest in some Nutribac. Someone else can link you to where to buy it, but one regurge is bad enough, two is when you start to get into the danger zone. Put it in your guy's water and when he eats again (after a 10 day break) cut a pinky in half or give it a pinky head rolled in Nutribac.

(am I kinda catching onto the regurge protocol? :D)

Cerian.abbott
02-18-2012, 05:57 PM
Thank you guys for the advice, I will wait 10 days then feed him a pinky head and see how it goes.

bitsy
02-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Nutribac isn't that commonly available in the UK. A rough equivalent (vitamin/mineral/electrolyte supplement with "friendly bacteria" to stabilise the digestion and repopulate the gut flora) is something like Vet Ark Reptoboost or AviPro, which you put in the water

Cerian.abbott
02-19-2012, 02:57 AM
I've managed to find a uk site selling the nutribac. I have manged to ordered some. if anyone has advice on using it that would be helpfull, I should arrive later this week. Thank you x

bitsy
02-19-2012, 06:09 AM
Good find! It should have detailed instructions on the tub - with supplements, I just follow those.

Don't be tempted to give more or increase the strength of the advised dose. Some of the ingredients can be harmful in large quantities.

Let us know how it goes. This is always a worrying time - plenty of us have been there.

kaylarose
02-29-2012, 12:22 PM
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118996&highlight=new%2Cvery+worried
if it keeps happening this thread has all the answers
:)