PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn Spring Time Eaters

Stubborn Spring Time Eaters

WingedSweetheart
02-20-2012, 11:53 PM
I am all too aware of the males refusal of food during this time of year. However I have one female who also refuses to eat. One would think that maybe she is in fact a male. But I have probed her on 5 different occasions so far and each time, she probes female. You could say that I may be doing it wrong. I haven't been probing snakes but for about a year now. But I have 5 snakes and I've probed all of them! I have 2 males and 3 females. So I have practice with both sexes.

The only difference with her is that it usually only lasts 3 or 4 weeks. Where as the boys won't eat for several months.

Is my girl just weird or does anyone else have any females that refuse to eat?

:shrugs:

dave partington
02-21-2012, 12:50 AM
I had this problem with one of my females this year, last year she was pounding down rat weanlings. This year when brought out of brummation she refused to eat. So tonight is feeding night, and I tossed a weanling mouse in with her; she grabbed it right away, so I gave her two more. I have also bumped her temperature up a couple of degrees to around 85.

HeavenHell
02-21-2012, 09:05 PM
I've had good luck offering smaller than usual prey items. For example a snake that previously fed on small mice would refuse them during winter but would eat 2 or 3 fuzzies instead. Worth a try if you have a variety of mice.