PDA

View Full Version : Advice on feeding 2 pinkies in one feeding needed

Advice on feeding 2 pinkies in one feeding needed

HermesMom
02-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Our little guy is growing like a darn weed, we get our pinkies from a pet store and they're just too small. And he's def. not ready for fuzzies. April 1st is the next reptile expo, we're planning on going again and getting some that are a bit bigger for him. I've heard/read of people feeding two small pinkies at time.

Do you feed one and then once that one's down half way, feed another? He's our first snake, any and all advice is very much appreciated. Is there a good place to order pinkies online that you can chose the size of it? I'd hate to get a ton of these tiny, tiny ones.

AliCat37
02-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Once he's swallowed one completely (it's in his belly) give him the second one :)
I can't help you on your other questions though, I buy all my mice locally.

mini4x
02-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Chances are he's ready to go up a size. do you see a bulge in his belly with just a single pink?

Lennycorn
02-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Our little guy is growing like a darn weed, we get our pinkies from a pet store and they're just too small. And he's def. not ready for fuzzies. April 1st is the next reptile expo, we're planning on going again and getting some that are a bit bigger for him. I've heard/read of people feeding two small pinkies at time.

Do you feed one and then once that one's down half way, feed another? He's our first snake, any and all advice is very much appreciated. Is there a good place to order pinkies online that you can chose the size of it? I'd hate to get a ton of these tiny, tiny ones.

If the snake doesn't have a noticeable lump after feeding a pinky, it's time to move up to fuzzy. But it is suggested to feed two small food items for a few feeding to help adjust to a larger meal. So you might have to get fuzzy from the pet store till April.

I feed in a feeding tank ( a five gal viv to tell ya the truth) so I just place the f/t in the viv then place the snake in and slide the lid close. I notice that once the snake finishes the first item it just moves to the next.

beautifullywild77
02-26-2012, 06:53 PM
I do almost the same as Lenny does. I just put them both in there and they will eat one then the other.

I have ordered from Rodent Pro. They have several size pinkies. I can tell you in the Large 100 pinkies I got you can find smaller ones.

HermesMom
02-26-2012, 07:31 PM
Chances are he's ready to go up a size. do you see a bulge in his belly with just a single pink?

There is a bulge with just a single pinkie, but that bulge is gone completely in less than 1/2 a day. And he's out and active again in 24 hrs or less, where before the bulge would last longer and he'd be hiding out for 48hrs. He's grown considerably and had a big growth spurt about 3 wks ago and is having another one now. He gets out every night, if not twice a day, {aside from digesting time of course} so I know he's getting a lot of exercise and want to be sure I'm feeding enough so he's healthy and grows to his potential. But I also don't want to stuff the guy till he looks like a sausage either, lol. Ah, being a new snake mom is tough sometimes ;)

toxiclight
02-26-2012, 07:42 PM
When we fed double pinks, we just popped both into the feeding bin with the snakes and they gobbled them down one after the other.

Nanci
02-26-2012, 07:50 PM
I would feed 1.5 pinks the next time, then two.

BooBoo18
02-26-2012, 11:47 PM
We fed tonight and have two on double pinkies. We feed in separate containers and just drop the two thawed pinkies in for them. Eros and Dillinger eat one, swallow then go after the other.

Pierre had been eating two pinkies for 2 meals with us but tonight got a small fuzzy. We will watch him closely as he had a regurge before we picked him up. I believe he was on a small fuzzy before the regurge so he has been working back up in feeding size. I waited until Eros and Dillinger weighed 16 grams before moving them up to two pinkies but also noticed there was hardly a tummy bulge after one pinkie the last few feedings.

HermesMom
02-27-2012, 02:03 PM
I would feed 1.5 pinks the next time, then two.

I imagine frozen is easier to cut them in half, should I be going the long way down the pinkie from nose to tail to keep them more in half? Or if I cut them defrosted... can that unused half be refrozen until next week? Oh so much to learn ;) Thanks for the help.

HermesMom
02-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Scratch the question about the refreezing, saw some answers in another thread.

Nanci
02-27-2012, 02:46 PM
I would just cut in half, crosswise, while frozen. I guess you could do two meals of 1.5 so you don't waste the other half.

Nanci
02-27-2012, 02:46 PM
And if I feed multiple pieces/pinks, I feed them all at once.

Nanci
02-27-2012, 02:47 PM
And if the snake gets blood/guts on him it won't hurt anything to do a quick rinse under room temp running water. They spazz out the first time or two, then don't care. I've NEVER had a regurge from washing a snake after feeding.

DacVA
02-27-2012, 02:53 PM
I'm having the same issue. The local supply of fuzzies are HUGE. I'm doing double pinkies until 3/11 (the next show not too far away.) Thanks for asking (so I could learn too.) :-)

HermesMom
02-27-2012, 03:16 PM
And if the snake gets blood/guts on him it won't hurt anything to do a quick rinse under room temp running water.

That would be a good time to invite my friend over who's scared to death of snakes {won't even go in our living room now that he's in there, lol} over... right before I rinse the blood and guts off, heehee.

Thanks everyone for your help, it's very much appreciated :)