PDA

View Full Version : Hole in Head

Hole in Head

Capt O
02-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Yesterday I have seen that one of my cornsnakes has a small hole in the head. This lady is about 6 years old and she is with me since 3 years. So far she never had any problems. Any idea what is causing this and how it can be treated ?

Outcast
02-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Do you feed live or F/T. It looks like it could be a puncture wound from prey retaliating.

ShenziSixaxis
02-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Looks like a healed wound or scar...

Capt O
02-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Do you feed live or F/T. It looks like it could be a puncture wound from prey retaliating.

I only feed F / T and she didn't have a wound before. I am totally clueless.

dave partington
02-29-2012, 12:29 AM
Something like that happened to a cremesicle I had a few years ago, a chunk of skin came off her head during shedding. It healed over after a couple more sheds. At the time it happened the hot dry heat was on, not sure if lack of ambient humidity may have been the cause.

SquamishSerpents
02-29-2012, 01:41 AM
Strange! Doesn't look too alarming though, I bet it will heal with a few sheds. Is there anything in the tank the snake could have hurt itself on?

Capt O
02-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Something like that happened to a cremesicle I had a few years ago, a chunk of skin came off her head during shedding. It healed over after a couple more sheds. At the time it happened the hot dry heat was on, not sure if lack of ambient humidity may have been the cause.

It can't be the ambient humidity as I live in the tropics. We never have less than 65 % humidity.

Capt O
02-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Strange! Doesn't look too alarming though, I bet it will heal with a few sheds. Is there anything in the tank the snake could have hurt itself on?

Absolutely no sharp objects in the tank. She is due for a shed in the next 2 weeks. Hopefully it will look better after that.

By the way I like to thank for all replies.

kernel
03-01-2012, 02:14 PM
There's a condition called "hole in the head disease" in fish cause by either a fungal or bacterial infection. I wonder if this could be something similar? :shrugs:

BloodyBaroness
03-01-2012, 02:21 PM
There's a condition called "hole in the head disease" in fish cause by either a fungal or bacterial infection. I wonder if this could be something similar? :shrugs:

Not really anything like that in reptiles.

More than likely it was a small injury of some kind. Like a scale getting stuck during a shed, or rubbing on something in the tank.

I had a snake go through this a year or so ago. She snagged a head scale on a log in her cage, it healed in about 5-6 sheds.

Since it's not bloody or puffy, I would watch and see out it looks after the next shed cycle.

Capt O
03-01-2012, 11:54 PM

The "disease" you are referring to occurs in Discus Fish (Symphysodon ). It is caused by parasites which eat into the forehead of the fish. Quite harmless and easy to treat. Thanks for the reply anyway.

kernel
03-02-2012, 02:21 AM
Sorry I wasn't able to be of much help.

toxiclight
03-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Our bloodred sometimes gets a spot like that in just about that spot when she's about to shed. It usually clears once she finishes shedding.