PDA

View Full Version : My corn passed away.

My corn passed away.

Obaba
02-29-2012, 06:40 AM
My name is Oryanna, Obaba most of the time and I acquired a beautiful Hypo Okeetee in 2005 from Kathy Love. I named her Rubyheart.

I signed up a few days ago, as I was lurking the site for a few months. Before I could even get a chance to introduce myself, I was cradling my Ruby in my arms. For the last 6 years she has had few issues. She fed well, I would even venture to say too well and at the end of last year, she went off her food for the first time. She had never went into brumation before, but seeing it was natural, I had few worries.

Yesterday she became active as if she was going to shed. Checking on her later, rubbing her head and stretching her mouth. I have her a room temperature soak a few minutes and but her back in her cage and observed.
The change came abruptly, she flipped herself over as if he lost her bearings.
At 3 am, all you can really do as a pet owner is help the best you can.
It seemed like something was obstructing her breathing. She was regurgitating a pink fluid. It became clear that my limited knowledge was little help and she passed within what seemed like minutes.

I am still stunned while writing this, I She was the only pet I could have in my living situation. We have a Prairie Kingsnake housed in another room and now I am watching her closely, hoping this is the only friend we will say goodbye too today.

If anyone has any insight as to what may have suddenly caused her such distress so quickly, I would appreciate it. We don't have a vet until Monday.

R.I.P. to my pretty Ruby

Nanci
02-29-2012, 07:17 AM
I recently had an adult snake pass in much the same circumstances. Seemed fine, became active, died suddenly. Your snake was at least seven- while still young, they don't all live to the maximum age. It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong, or could have changed the outcome with a vet visit. I hope you will find room in your heart for another cornsnake when you are ready. I am sorry for your loss.

HermesMom
02-29-2012, 09:16 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss, my deepest condolences

Karoni
02-29-2012, 09:34 AM
I, too, am so sorry you lost Ruby.

Christen
02-29-2012, 09:37 AM
I am so very sorry for you loss.

beautifullywild77
02-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Awe I am so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you!

Obaba
02-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Thank you for the support and info.
Things happened so quickly, I am coming to realize that even if I had a vet available, unless they were able to diagnose the issue in a few critical minutes, there was little that would have changed the outcome.
We will be going to the clinic later to see if they can determine what happened. If nothing else, they will help us take care of her remains.

bitsy
02-29-2012, 01:15 PM
It's devastating to watch a loved pet deteriorate so fast and not be able to help. At least at the end she was obviously with folks who cared deeply about her. I hope the clinic are able to help you with an explanation, although as Nanci says, sometimes these things just happen.

If you want to store Ruby's body, make sure you put her in the fridge and not the freezer. Freezing causes damage to the tissues and can mask medical problems.

Zombiegirl
02-29-2012, 01:31 PM
So sorry for your loss :(

Obaba
03-03-2012, 07:14 AM
Although we haven't found the cause of death, the more pressing matter is that suddenly our apartment complex has gotten a -No Snake- policy.
We have lived here for 5 years.
Up to now, dogs and cats were prohibited on the lease. Aquarium pets were okay, turtles, hermit crabs, snakes, small rodents etc.
The manager just informed my husband, yesterday and out of the blue, that snakes are prohibited, and dogs and cats are allowed with a restriction of one pet.

While we have had 4 managers here, only this one we have had in the last year has made it clear that she despises snakes.
According to two experts we have in this situation, one in general law and the other in apartment leasing policy, we are grandfathered in due to the fact that we moved here specifically because we could have a snake as a pet without issue. New managers were informed of this, as well as other tenants that had small pets and therapy animals.
This also means that I won't be able to get another Cornsnake.

My husband is furious. He had never experienced loss of a pet before, and losing Ruby has been made harder by not having many to share the loss with many that can understand.
He took Evergreen, our Prairie Kingsnake as his responsibility, since we, ironically, found her on the first floor of the unit we live in now.
He has always had to give his pets away and this is something he is willing to up and move out over.

ZiggysMom
03-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Oh my, Obaba. I really feel for you and the family. To lose a beloved pet and at the same time to face at the very least having to fight to keep your other pet. My condolences.

visceralrepulsion
03-03-2012, 10:16 AM
So sorry to hear of your loss. I really can't imagine losing my scalebabies. Deep down we all hope they'll live until their maximum but sadly this isn't always true, and personally it scares the crap out of me. If I let it, it would cause me great anxiety worrying about every little movement, behavior, or noise. But I hope you can open your heart to another snake someday when your living situations are different, and that you can live in peace and not fear. Like others have said, it sounds like it came on too suddenly and stealthily for anything to be done in time. I had a scare awhile back with one of my snakes, and was in complete shambles, I mean a wreck. But through the help of my boyfriend, and people on these types of forums I had the realization that there was possibly nothing I could've done had he deteriorated quickly anyways, so don't be so hard on yourself, dear.

Nanners
03-04-2012, 10:34 PM
I am so sorry for your sudden loss..