PDA

View Full Version : not eaten for 2 weeks

not eaten for 2 weeks

predaza
05-21-2004, 07:43 PM
sorry about double posting but i started a photo thread that developed into a feeding post so........
click here to hear whats going on (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11949&perpage=10&pagenumber=1)

J_Daniels
05-22-2004, 11:10 AM
If it makes you feel any better about your situation, I once had a hatchling eat one pinky (it's first ever feed) and then not eat again for nearly three months, and he did not starve to death. He didn't grow, mind you, but he was still alive.

Whatever you do, do not force feed yet, as I've heard that this action in itself, if not done just right, can kill your snake.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

JCD

Simon
05-22-2004, 11:31 AM
Oh

after hearing what J_Daniels said

I just remembered that I had a similar case

Last year I hatched out a snow frosted creamsicle

it was hatched in July and refused to eat anything from hatching until March of this year.

She is not a bit skinny (heck quite fat if you ask me since she never ate...)

Even right nos she only took down at most 10 pinkies from March. So don't worry...some hatchlings do that for some sort of weird reason....of course she's still in my collection right now since she is not a steady feeder and I don't want to sell her out that way...

So your hatchling not eating for 2 weeks is not much of a concern.

Just remmeber to keep a close eye at it and see if it is getting skinny and weak. If so then force feeding a pinky or a pinky head would be needed to just boost the energy up a bit~

MegF.
05-22-2004, 10:24 PM
My Aztec recently decided not to eat for two weeks. When I finally put her in a bag with the fuzzy, she ate it, only to regurge two days later. After waiting a week, I fed her in her viv (she's on paper towel right now). She ate the pinky and kept it down. I'm going to feed her a couple of times more on the pinkies and then move her back up to a fuzzy. I may just keep her on paper and feed her in the viv to cut down on stress. She's way more nervous than my amel. that's for sure!

predaza
05-24-2004, 04:00 AM
thanks guys i feel MUCH better now:cheers:
just checked him after spending the weekend at my dads and he seems fine so im gonna wait til thursday without interupting and hopefully he will feed:eatsmiley

slithering
05-27-2004, 12:20 AM
i find myself laughing every now and then when i read here in the forums . mainly from the fast food type feeding that goes on in the herp world. why move a snake from its viv just to eat . hey lets go 2 mac donalds or burger king my kids will say and i ask them right back no we'll eat right here because i just went out and spent $200 on groceries. but the substrate has a lot to with the feeding thing i know but cant u just as easily set a place inside the viv for your snake to eat like a little pic nic table over in the corner or something . hey MEG why a bag of all things luv i would never ever ever put my snake in a bag just to feed it thats just to odd 4 me .thats like climbing in a garbage sack and telling my wife ok honey gimmie my supper . lol no harm intended MEG i just dont see the logic maybe you can be a little more or a little less descriptive thanx :cheers:

MegF.
05-27-2004, 12:32 AM
Wellll, normally I don't feed in a bag. I was having trouble with my aztec not feeding, and sometimes putting them in a small area that's dark will encourage them to feed if they're a bit, uh, shy, shall we say. She did eat. Unfortunately, she regurged two days later, so, right now she's on paper towel, and being fed in the viv. I may have to keep that regimen up for now. I do not feed on substrate. I know you love watching the thrill of the kill as your snake comes out of the substrate, but my amel eats just as voraciously on f/t mice. She strikes and constricts regardless of whether or not they are alive, and she does it in a feeder box on paper. I care about my snakes, so I don't want to create any more problems for myself than I have to. Things such as ingesting substrate is avoidable and easy. My personal choice.

predaza
05-27-2004, 05:20 AM
off to get a pinky from the freezer now.
wish me luck:(

predaza
05-27-2004, 05:24 AM
oh and just a quick question?
the woman at my local petshop said that if my snake doesnt eat today to bring it in for force feeding tommorow (3rd week)
bacause if i dnt my snake will 'forget how to swallow' is this true or complete lies :confused:

MegF.
05-27-2004, 07:29 AM
Agghhhhh! Complete lies!!! Don't do it. Your snake will eat when she's hungry. That's like saying they'll forget how to breath! Oh brother.....great pet shop.

Simon
05-27-2004, 10:12 AM
forget how to swollow?
LOL
I haven't heard of anything like that.

But I kind of get the reason why she said that though. Cause she is worried that if the snake doesn't eat any sooner, the snow is going to get so weak that it CAN'T swallow the food item any more. NOT that it has forgotten how to swallow the food. Just that it doesn't have the energy to force the food down into its digestive system.

IF force feeding is really to be done, I would do either blended pinky (so that its like baby food, and you use a syringe and pump the food into the snake's mouth) or pinky head so that it at leasts get some nutrients back plus its easy to digest. But this is ONLY THE LAST RESORT kind of method.

Do you notice your snake getting skinny or weak at all?

Let us all know how things goes~~

Hope that it will feed on its own for you today with the pinky feeding~~

predaza
05-27-2004, 07:38 PM
he didnt feed
my snake isnt getting skinny or weak,
:cry:
so i will leave him another week and if he doesnt eat then i will probably get the guy at my petshop to force feed it a head:awcrap:

thanks for the help so far guys its much apretiated;)
keep it coming:)

rolph1414
05-28-2004, 12:25 AM
I have a rosey boa that has not ate for three months!!!! I know what you are going through...I have tried everything...

mykal
05-30-2004, 04:13 PM
My corn is usually a good feeder eating a weaned rat every 10-14 days with out any problems. The problem is he hasn't eaten in 1 month. He used to snap at and constrist his meals, but now seems very disinterested and pushes the rat around the feeding enclosure. I havent done anything different since I got him, the viv set up, and the temps have not changed. He has just stopped eating.
:confused:

MegF.
05-31-2004, 03:02 PM
If he's an adult, maybe he's in breeding mode. A lot of the males go off food this time of year.

predaza
06-02-2004, 08:49 PM
ok guys tommorow is the 4th try, fingers crossed:(

predaza
06-03-2004, 07:51 PM
:D click here (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12292) :D