PDA

View Full Version : All those who have problems with PetCo...

All those who have problems with PetCo...

kellum
06-20-2002, 11:23 AM
http://channels.netscape.com/ns/news/ns/story.jsp?floc=FF-RTO-reodd&idq=/ff/story/0002%2F20020620%2F071735699.htm&sc=reodd

I suppose you have reason

CornSnake Fever
06-20-2002, 12:31 PM
I stopped shopping there . They had a lot of rats with Upper- respiratory Infections. I also went in there to look at the turtles they had one turtle with some kind of eye infection in with the other turtles. When I told them about it they said they Knew about it .Yeh I want one of thier pets.NOT!:mad:
I shop at Petsmart and Arizona Reptile(I got Ellie from there).:D

Ellie's Proud mom:)

Kilojara16
06-20-2002, 01:13 PM
I never shopped in Petco (probably cause a PetsMart was built right next to it) but I am shocked of hearing the conditions those animals are in. It's beginning to make me sick. I hope something is done about this.

CornSnake Fever
06-20-2002, 01:17 PM
You and me both,I hope they get them!

Kevin M
06-20-2002, 07:29 PM
As far as Petco is concerned I only go there (Or any chain pet store) when I'm really in a fix for something. These chain stores are of real poor quality and most if not all their animals,reptiles or otherwise are diseased...

Of course I should mention that my friend Naz works there (PetCo) and whenever there is a sick reptile he sends them my way to take care of. I should probably send them back when they get better, But why would I wanna do that? hehe

Colleen
06-21-2002, 08:21 AM
But it seems to be rempant in all of the big chains. In my area there is a store (Elmers Aquariums) that sells mostly fish but has some small animals and reptiles. The last time I was there they had 2 Corns in a tiny maybe 6x8 inch cage . one was a hatchling and the other a yearling that couldn't even move. The cage was filthy with poo that was bright green and runny!!! Then I looked in the back at their feeder mice and rats.....they must have a hundred in each cage at least 5 deep on top of one another!!:mad: I was so sick when I left there. I did call the local animal control office and reported it but I doubt by his attitude that he did anything. We all should boucott these stores!! maybe if profit goes down they will shape up.

Colleen

SilverTongue
06-21-2002, 12:45 PM
Well that is the last time i go to PetCo. Only reason I liked going there anyways is the ferrits and the reptiles. I never purchis fish there ever because one day my husband and I went there and wanted to buy some mollys but they all had ick. No biggy it happens a lot in traficing of fish because of water tempature change. But the funny thing is they only had that tank marked no sale. If you look closely at the water system. Atleast in the Pasadent Texas store they ALL share the same water. Ick is water transfered.... And I dont know anyone wwho have fish who had ick and have survived. :(

lilbro82286
06-22-2002, 02:04 AM
i went the petsmart web site and it said there was a free hamster witha ten gallon tank i went there and they were in the worst shap immanigelble the had wet tail and they were nearing the end of thier lifes so i never go to chain stores because of the shape of the pets and the stores in general

Kevin M
06-22-2002, 02:04 AM
I probably should have elaborated a bit. I did not mean to imply that I get sick animals and parade them around my collection. I am not so naive. I dont just take any sick reptiles into my care, Nor did I mean to imply that this is something I practice alot.

What I should have probably said was from time to time if there is a sick reptile which I am capable of caring for that Naz will sometimes hand them my way. Ya see I have a friend, Dr Randon Feinsod, DVM, that from time to time will treat animals that I bring his way. As a precaution he will also quarantine them at his facility untill labs come back letting us know how bad/good a reptile might be. If things arent too serious then thats where I normally take over. And even then I quarantine them myself untill I feel they're healthy enough to become part of my collection or return to the store.

Thanks for your concern though.

PSYCOSNAKEMOM
07-01-2002, 12:30 PM
Our first introduction to cornsnakes was at Petco. Last year for Spencer's birthday (I know, you've heard this story a million times on the old forum). Any how the two things I want to say is Cornelius, the corn that we bought there is the best snake ever. He just loves people and hanging around with Spencer. When we're cleaning the tank he comes right over and climbs up your arm. He can tell if your in the room and trys to get your attention by moving back and forth, I say he but we don't really know what he/she is, but he's cool. He's growing the fastest, looks great eats well and is intertaining. BUT when they packaged him up to go they put tape on the inside of the box. Well he was taped to the box and stuck, wiggling around like crazy. THAT was our first introduction to the forum. We got tons of good advice and today, a year later he is well, like I said great. We live in a small New England town and the Petco here kinda of reflects that. The thing I like is that they let me hand pick my pinkies and fuzzies. I don't think any pet stays in stock long because of being the only pet store for miles. Plus they don't do dogs or anything like that. Part of me says we were LUCKY, what we knew was from the care sheet they gave us before we bought. We said, "that sounds easy" and brought him home. Now we get all our corns from Rich and feel a lot better about it. OK two cents done. Sam ~~~~~:~

prophet
07-01-2002, 05:04 PM
Ok first let me say I have never purchased anything at a petco do to the conditions of theirs stores. My good friend did buy some fish from them though and I don't know what they had but about 3 weeks down the road all his other fish had died besides the 3 he got from petco. I do know people that work at petsmart and take very good care of the animals. I think it depends allot on the staff if they really care or if their abunch of teens just going in for the paycheck.