PDA

View Full Version : sliding door injury ... again.

sliding door injury ... again.

Firefur
03-13-2012, 11:51 PM
hay guys i have a snake that i've had since around aug. he's big (around 9yrs) and to my knowledge has never had a shedding problem, then about a month ago we moved him into a bigger enclosure with sliding plexiglass doors, his first night in the enclosure he forced his way out the door and scraped up some of his scales but he shed the next day and we put a magnetic lock on the door that prevents him from bowing them again. thus preventing his escape. his shed was a bad one but we figure it was due to his scraping a 6inch stretch of his shed off the night before. his scales are still a little rough in that area. anyway he shed again today and i notice that once again that area didn't shed well. in addition to that i think he's decided that the doors are a good way to 'shed' since he cut his nose trying to force his way through the doors again. the only reason i know this is because, he had his head out of the hide when i went to give him more water. he has a cut on his snout right above his nostrils. any suggestions on how to keep him from doing it again? will he ever shed normally again?
thanks in advance for any advice

SquamishSerpents
03-14-2012, 12:46 AM
Well if it's already happened twice, I'd imagine the obvious answer would be to get a more suitable enclosure.

Iguanagirl8662
03-14-2012, 01:59 AM
If I were you I would get a new enclosure. He is going to keep trying to get out and he is going to keep rubbing his nose.

bitsy
03-14-2012, 05:50 AM
Can you replace the plexiglass with safety glass? That won't flex and he's less likely to be able to get through.

Otherwise, I agree that your only alternative is another type of enclosure. I had one male who gave himself horrible crush injuries in the mating season, trying to squash between sliding glass doors. I had to move him to a top opening wooden viv and have had no further problems with him.

I've never had the problem before or since with the front sliding doors (all the rest of my enclosures are that type), so I think we really just did get unlucky with particularly dim Corns!

Firefur
03-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Hi everyone we noticed he only does it when he's shedding so some one suggested that we get some air tubing from petco and cut it open and adher it over the plexiglass to act as a bumper. we're going to try that and if that doesn't work then we'll get him a new tank, as the plexiglass was an altern ative to the safty glass that kept cutting us.