PDA

View Full Version : Neosporin for Snakes ?

Neosporin for Snakes ?

Erika N.
03-23-2012, 01:23 PM
So some how or another one of my snakes ripped a couple of her scales off. I'm still trying to figure out how they managed to do this but so far no luck. There is a little blood and you can see skin underneath. (Id post pictures but my camera isn't work at the moment.) It doesn't look bad but at the same time I'm not sure of what I can do for her. I'm afraid to leave the wound unattended encase she some how gets an infection so I was wondering if there was a neosporin (or the like) for snakes on the market.

Thanks,
Erika

Soulwind
03-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Neosporin itself is safe for use on snakes.

Erika N.
03-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Neosporin itself is safe for use on snakes. Just regular old neosporin will work, really?

What about if its the pain relief kind? Its the only kind we have in the house at the moment.

Or would it be best to just stick to the regular?

Thanks

bitsy
03-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Advice is usually to avoid the kind with pain-relief. Best stick to the regular.

If you have her on a loose substrate like aspen, then it might be worth replacing that with newspaper while she heals. This avoids getting dust and debris stuck to the graze.

Erika N.
03-23-2012, 01:57 PM
If you have her on a loose substrate like aspen, then it might be worth replacing that with newspaper while she heals. This avoids getting dust and debris stuck to the graze.

Thankfully she is already on newspaper though it is shredded. I may take out the shredded and put down a couple of flat pieces just in case though.

cmack91
03-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Just dont over use it, there have been quite a few reports of neosporin softening the scales to the point where they fall off. For anything more than a one time use, Betadine is recomended by pretty much everyone. You should be able to pick it up at your local pharmacy.