PDA

View Full Version : New snake, wont eat second time?

New snake, wont eat second time?

Sarrix
03-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Just wanted to get some info from you wonderful people on these forums about my new corn snake Atilla. I received him last Wednesday, put him in his new viv and let him relax for two days. He is 7 months old and last time was fed was a week prior, so two days later, Friday night, I got a pinky ready and put it in his viv. Could not dangle in front of him since as soon as the cage goes to open he goes right under a piece of cork bark. Ate it sometime in the next hour, no problem.

Sorry if this seems long but just trying to get as much info out as I can so I can get some help as too why a 5 days later I went to feed him, did not eat it, pinky was there next morning. Tried 3 days later, same thing, even with me braining it(not sure if thats what its called when you pierce the brain with knife). Temps are correct, check using a T-probe/temp gun.

SO, pretty much just looking to get opinions on how long a younger snake can go without eating, how long I should wait before next try, if I should try picking him up and putting in a separate container for feeding. As of right now I have not handled him yet since he is fairly new.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post!

AliCat37
03-24-2012, 12:20 PM
It seems to me like you are offering food too often. If he doesn't eat, wait another week to offer him again. Some times it helps to place them in a smaller feeding container with the pinky and leave them be. Even with a young snake, you still can go a few months without eating before he loses weight, if he is a healthy weight now! He could also be getting ready to shed, some snakes won't eat when they are about to shed, and eating while in shed can lead to regurges, so it is not recommended.

Sarrix
03-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks, I figured that might be it. Will wait a week before I try again.

Nanci
03-24-2012, 01:30 PM
I feed all my snakes in separate feeding containers. That way you know for sure if the snake ate or not, and the snake knows when it goes into the container that it is supposed to eat. If your snake is reluctant, feed in the evening, and cover the container up the first few times. Don't repeatedly check on him; leave him alone for 30-60 minutes. Also, make sure the pink is HOT. I feed babies every five days, until they are on adults.

Susan
03-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Your new snake might also be getting ready to shed. Many snakes won't eat during that period to various degrees. I have 1 adult female that won't eat anytime from just before starting to go blue to almost a week after she sheds. Depending upon where her shed schedule falls with my feeding schedule, she can and has missed 3 consecutive feedings.