PDA

View Full Version : Adult Corn Not Eating

Adult Corn Not Eating

SJLilly
03-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Just a question for everyone. I've got an adult corn that I've had for about a year now and as long as i've had him he's always been a GREAT eater. He would strike at the mouse (sometimes constrict it) as soon as I waved it in front of his face, but all of the sudden about two months ago he completely stopped eating. I've tried every trick i know (even tried a live mouse last week) but he's just completely uninterested in feeding. Everything in his viv including temperature, humidity, hides, etc is all exactly the same as it has been. Anyone have experience with this and is there anything else i can try to get him to feed? He's still a healthy weight, and i assume he will remain that way for a while, but I'm not sure how long this little hunger fast should go on before i start to get more concerned. Any info would be much appreciated.

ZiggysMom
03-26-2012, 09:27 PM
It could well be spring. Search for not feeding and I bet there are a ton of threads just like yours. I have several that are more interested in the opposite sex than food right now. I would offer his normal food or just a bit smaller on his normal feeding schedule. No nead to go live if he is normally a good feeder on f/t. He should come around soon. Keep track of his weight. As long as he does not lose much he is fine.

PAIN
03-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Here is my posting regarding the same thing and I got great help with it. My Big Boy STILL hasn't eaten and it is the 30th day. But he is crazy active and only went down a few grams.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120794

toxiclight
03-28-2012, 07:40 AM
Our one male is refusing food. Pretty sure it's because of spring, because he's very active, out and about and staring longingly into our female's viv. He's just more interested in her than he is in food ;)

wildangel
03-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Back in January I rescued a 54 inch 599 gram Male , I have been having a feeding problem with him since I got him. He has only eat 2 full grown mice since I got him. He is very active and hardly ever goes in his hides. The PO said they fed him large mice or small rats and he ate every week (Live and F/T). Now the only 2 I have gotten him to eat was live but I head to knock them out before he would get near them. I tried a F/T last week and he would not touch it, I cut its head like I have heard to do and that didn't work. It may be because of spring but he has to eat soon. Its been a month now since he ate. I havent checked his weight lately, I will later tonight and post it.

Farmgirl
03-28-2012, 11:44 AM
do you have a female too?? Both my males are being difficult eaters right now and I am being told it's because it's breeding season and I have females that the males can smell.

bitsy
03-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Males kept alone in a house also feel the "urge" and can show breeding season behaviour. The lack of a lady in the vicinity doesn't seem to diminish their enthusiasm!

wildangel
03-28-2012, 12:14 PM
I have 2 males and 1 female and an escapee that I can't find. The other male is eating like a pig, he is 4 years old, the one that won't eat is 5 years old. The non eater is in an aquarium in another room and the male that eats good is in the rack I drawer below the female.

wildangel
03-28-2012, 11:10 PM
well well he eat tonight, the breeder I have been dealing with had me to try a small rat tonight, he called it a weanling I think, and gizmo went right after it, downed that sucker and is resting in his hide now, out of site. I feel much better now.

SJLilly
04-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Yeah i've got a couple females in the same room... and he seems to be doing his damnedest to get out of his viv and in to theirs. hopefully thats the only reason he's not eating. thanks everyone

Lennycorn
04-03-2012, 07:27 PM
I would think so...my three year old male snow stripe is doing the spring hunt too!! Second refusal.

tompro019
04-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Yea, I have some males that do that off and On this time of year.