PDA

View Full Version : Inactive baby corn

Inactive baby corn

Jessica613
03-28-2012, 09:37 AM
I don't know much about snakes, Ive been doing a lot of research and reading threads here, trying different things but I have some concerns. I bought a baby corn snake about a week ago. I was told corn snakes are very active but mine doesn't do anything all day. I've never seen him go in his water and he wont eat. I've been leaving him alone the past 3 days in case I was handling him too much and he was stressed but he still hides away all day and doesn't seem interested in his pinkies (I have tried cutting them in half ect) I am worried about him. Is this normal? What should I do? I have also read different places, some saying not to feed him in his tank, others saying its ok... What would you recommend?

Nanci
03-28-2012, 09:54 AM
First, you should have let him settle in for a week before handling him at all. The next step is to have a successful feeding. I recommend feeding in a separate small container. Finally, after he has digested for two or three days, then you may begin short, gentle handling sessions.

Cornsnakes are typically not active during the day.

cornsnakegirl
03-28-2012, 10:06 AM
^ What she said :D Corn snakes aren't active during the day anyways. If you got him about a week ago, he probably isnt settled in enough to eat.

AliCat37
03-28-2012, 10:15 AM
I would leave him be completely for a week. By offering him food so much, you've probably stressed him out. After a week, take him out and do as Nanci said, leave him be with a HOT pinkie, maybe even poke a little hole in the head of it. You can use a plastic sandwhich box for that. If he doesn't eat, try again in 5-7 days. I never see my corns out and about. I think when people say that they are active snakes, they are referring to when you are handling them. Corns move around a lot compared to other common pet snakes like boas and ball pythons.

Jessica613
03-28-2012, 10:19 AM
OK thanks everyone, When I first bought him I went by what the ppl at the pet store told :/ after doing some research and joining here I realized they were way off so my lil guy had a rough start :( thanks again!

AliCat37
03-28-2012, 10:26 AM
No worries! When I got my first snake no one told me not to handle him or feed him the first week. He was the best snake I ever had, so the rough start didn't hurt.