PDA

View Full Version : Substrate question!!

Substrate question!!

Paulgee1316
03-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Hi, I have a question about substrate to use for a corn. I've had my corn for about 2 years and have always used aspen, it's perfect for me so I'm not looking to change, I just want to ask about using child's play sand.
My brother in law has a big collection of different reps, and he uses child's play sand for his beardies and corns. I said to him he shouldn't because of sand getting under scales etc (which is what I have read) but he said he's been using it for year and both his corns are fully grown and healthy, they have always been in the sand and never had a problem. I know you should do what you feel is right for your pet but I've seen a lot of posts over the net saying you can or you can't. I wanted to hear from people who do use sand and don't have problems, and people who have actually had a problem with it. I myself don't personally know anyone who has had any problems with it, but do know a couple who do without any troubles. I feel it's maybe an urban legend and while there are defo circumstances sand has caused health issues, if you feed ur corn out of the sand is there any actuall problems?

toxiclight
03-28-2012, 03:10 PM
There have been a couple of threads on here, if I recall correctly, discussing keeping corns on sand and some of the problems it causes. I don't have any personal experience with it...ours are all on aspen or paper towels.

Cassie16
04-01-2012, 01:53 PM
I've only read that under no circumstances should corn snakes have sand as substrate. I don't think it's the possibility of ingesting it that makes sand the poor choice (although this would probably be detrimental to the snake), but rather the fact that sand can easily get stuck between the scales. Since corns don't come from desert settings, I don't think theyre capable of thriving on sand. Also, I imagine sand would be difficult to burrow in, which corns love to do. I would say sand is a big "no no" and I don't think you'll find an experience owner who's risked it. I would stick with Aspen, personally.

visceralrepulsion
04-04-2012, 02:44 AM
When getting my Kenyan SandBoa, I did research to see which substrate was preferable. I was actually told that even sand boa's preferable substrate isn't even sand. I was told Kaytee brand aspen is most recommended. And on the plus side it can be used for all my snakes just fine. Sani-chips is also another aspen made substrate that has a different texture but the benefits of using aspen. You'll find that snake-keeping is often a matter of opinion, variables, etc. What works for one person may not work for another. And vice versa.