PDA

View Full Version : where should the heat pad be

where should the heat pad be

Garrett__16
06-20-2002, 02:37 PM
should the heat pad be on the inside of the tank under the bedding or should it be on the outside and underneath the tank?

Iris
06-20-2002, 02:49 PM
Outside and underneath is best so that they won't be able to poop on the heat pad or get so close to it that they will get burned.

lynn
06-20-2002, 03:42 PM
Outside, underneath unless it is a wood viv then inside but don't have the substrate too thick it will hold the heat and make it too hot.

Jr Nimeskern
06-20-2002, 10:07 PM
It is usually put on the outside underneth part of the living area... because if the heat pad is on the inside and your corn somehow tips over his water bowl...:eek: you might have a problem... also if they lay on top of it without anything to seperate them form the pad then the pad becomes just like a heat rock... you can expect your corn to have thermal burns... but I believe this works the same way with glass aquariums... the glass doesnt seem to block any of the heat from going in and in some cases the glass aquarium can be just as dangerous keeping the heat pad on the inside as the outside...

Kevin M
06-20-2002, 10:46 PM
As others have said it's probably best for the heat pad to be outside underneath the enclosure. I think it's also worthy to note that only 1/3 of the enclosure should be heated this way so that your corn can thermoregulate himself.

reaper
06-21-2002, 07:09 AM
hi i was told if you are using a wooden viv with glass sliding doors at the front you should fit the heat mat on the back of the viv inside at one end about an inch above the bottom. by doing this it holds the heat in .

CornsnakeKeeper
06-21-2002, 11:55 AM
Like they said about the glass being extra hott, put a piece of repti carpet on the bottom of the cage and the heat pad on the bottom of the tank... Good Luck!