PDA

View Full Version : Rats and Corns

Rats and Corns

SilverTongue
06-20-2002, 03:56 PM
Q1 Can rats and corns live together?

Q2 Is it safe for them to breed together?

Jimmy C.
06-20-2002, 04:46 PM
Hey ST,
I am just learning that snakes should be housed separately, one to a tank. So you should not put a Rat snake and a Corn snake together.
Corns and rats are from the the same family so you can breed them. I think that how they came up with the Creamsickle and Frosted corn snakes( I think) But you cant sell them as corns.
I hope this helps,
Jimmy C.

SilverTongue
06-20-2002, 05:13 PM
Thank you verry much :)

pinatamonkey
06-20-2002, 09:36 PM
EEK! At first I though you were asking about RODENT rats and corns living together!

SilverTongue
06-20-2002, 09:46 PM
LOL Thank you pinatamonkey I needed that laugh! :)

Jr Nimeskern
06-20-2002, 10:20 PM
LOL I thought the same thing Pinat! lol funny...

monica
07-09-2008, 04:13 PM
I have heard that corns should be housed seperately. However, I didn't hear this until my 3 snakes (2 males and 1 female) had been housed together for nearly 6 years. They were together when I bought them from the pet store, and have all lived happily together since. I feed them in seperate containers, my female has laid clutches 2 years in a row now. 2 years ago, I introduced another female the same age (the owner couldn't keep her any longer), to the same house, and she has also thrived and laid a clutch of her own.

The only problem I am noticing now, is that the smaller of the males has not bred with either female. It's my understanding that the larger male is dominant and will remain such until I remove him from the house.

Weebonilass
07-09-2008, 04:22 PM
I have heard that corns should be housed seperately. However, I didn't hear this until my 3 snakes (2 males and 1 female) had been housed together for nearly 6 years. They were together when I bought them from the pet store, and have all lived happily together since. I feed them in seperate containers, my female has laid clutches 2 years in a row now. 2 years ago, I introduced another female the same age (the owner couldn't keep her any longer), to the same house, and she has also thrived and laid a clutch of her own.

The only problem I am noticing now, is that the smaller of the males has not bred with either female. It's my understanding that the larger male is dominant and will remain such until I remove him from the house.

You had two snakes together for four years and they didn't have a clutch?? Sorry that sounds not normal to me, a sexual mature male and female, should have been breeding at two or three... so you should have had four or five clutches by now, making you a pro by now.. which obviously you haven't if you don't even know when they are suppose to be hatching.

monica
07-09-2008, 04:26 PM
I never claimed to be a pro. I was commenting on a question. My own personal experience. The first clutch was laid while I was on vacation and my caretaker didn't know what to do with the 5 eggs. Is everyone on here this rude? Or just bored?

Now I know why I didn't join this site to begin with. I thought this was for informational purposes.. not for bored people to sit around and trash talk others.

SnakesRule1234
07-09-2008, 04:37 PM
I never claimed to be a pro. I was commenting on a question. My own personal experience. The first clutch was laid while I was on vacation and my caretaker didn't know what to do with the 5 eggs. Is everyone on here this rude? Or just bored?

Now I know why I didn't join this site to begin with. I thought this was for informational purposes.. not for bored people to sit around and trash talk others.

Please, grow up.
Nobody is being harsh to you. All she did is ask you a question.
Most of us here are against co-habbing, so angry and/ or rude responses are expected. Especially because it's been said millions of times not to do it but there is still a couple people a months asking if it's ok, or saying that hey got a clutch, a snake got sick, whatever. It's really annoying.

Weebonilass
07-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Please, grow up.
Nobody is being harsh to you. All she did is ask you a question.
Most of us here are against co-habbing, so angry and/ or rude responses are expected. Especially because it's been said millions of times not to do it but there is still a couple people a months asking if it's ok, or saying that hey got a clutch, a snake got sick, whatever. It's really annoying.

Okay, I was probably little snippier than I should have been, but giving adviced based on one experience bothers me. As does the fact that these snakes (according to the owner) didn't start breeding until they were four... that's just not normal. One shouldn't be bringing any kind of animal into the world be it snakes, dogs or cats, unless they've done their homework. Plus, it would appear that these snakes are also laying their eggs in a community tank, which bothers me even more. I hope I'm wrong on that, but the poster only said that the eggs from the first clutch(?) were laid while she was on vacation and her housesitter wasn't prepared.

We have very experienced breeders on here who have lost valuable animals to egg-binding. They knew what they were looking for and they bred females that were of an age and size to be bred. That doesn't happen in a community tank. Babies having babies is not smart in my book for any species.

ghosthousecorns
07-09-2008, 04:55 PM

You are going to get out of it what you put into it. If you start off from the get-go assuming all the members of this site - many of whom are corn keepers with years of experience and a wealth of knowledge they are willing to share - are bored, mean people with nothing better to do than trash talk, isn't your own post a bit rude? You are dissing the site and its members, people that take the time to post here, respond, and educate because they choose and want to, not because they are obliged to do so.

monica
07-09-2008, 05:10 PM
THAT WAS MY RESPONSE EXACTLY. I COMMENTED ON A QUESTION FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE, AND SHE'S BEEN FOLLOWING ME AROUND BADMOUTHING EVERY COMMENT OR QUESTION I HAVE PUT OUT THERE. Was I supposed to ask permission to ask a question or give an answer first? She's the one that needs to grow up. The only reason I signed up was to ask about the clutches. Don't worry.. I'm unsubscribing since my questions and answers are obviously too much for you guys to handle.

What a bunch of bored people. At least one nice person answered my main question.

ghosthousecorns
07-09-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm a bored person so I took a look at your other posts. LOL good luck with your "cornsicles" :rolleyes:

diamondlil
07-09-2008, 05:19 PM
I keep my corns seperately, in a rack system, but I have met a breeder who keeps his paired up in large vivs, with good results. The vivs were the ones favoured over here, like large wooden glass-fronted boxes, with a lot more climbing space than I have in my tubs, with branches and fake plants.
I'm not totally anti cohabbing, I just choose a different way of keeping my snakes.
(By good results, I mean that he has successfully bred and raised corns much longer than I've been keeping him. His snakes were all beautifully kept and very healthy. He kept the hatchlings in tubs, only his adult breeders were in the big vivs. I've got 2 lovely 2 year old corns I got from him as babies)

sandybunny
07-09-2008, 05:57 PM
THAT WAS MY RESPONSE EXACTLY. I COMMENTED ON A QUESTION FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE, AND SHE'S BEEN FOLLOWING ME AROUND BADMOUTHING EVERY COMMENT OR QUESTION I HAVE PUT OUT THERE. Was I supposed to ask permission to ask a question or give an answer first? She's the one that needs to grow up. The only reason I signed up was to ask about the clutches. Don't worry.. I'm unsubscribing since my questions and answers are obviously too much for you guys to handle.

What a bunch of bored people. At least one nice person answered my main question.

Well Monica, you need to grow up and be willing to accept some constructive criticism. Calling members here a bunch of bored people and getting defensive will get you nowhere fast. The members here are the best of the best in cornsnakes, ext... I have learned so much from all of them and continue to.
I don't think anyone was "following" you around to badmouth you answers. However, it sounds like you don't really know what you are doing.

scubadiver
07-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Like some of the others have said I have no problem with cohabing i do it myself but i keep males and females apart. Though some of his comments may be sorta rude some are that way but most are think of whats in the best intrest of the snake. It's deffinantely over the top saying every one here is rude and bored corn snakes are our hobbies and maybe even some of their jobs. If you came for an answer than you will get your answer the really experienced breeders aren't always on here for every little question you should give it some time and maybe losen up some. good luck with your clutches i'd offer to try and answer about your possible out come but i still don't really get the genes of corns. again good luck and hope you stay and make some friends