PDA

View Full Version : Quick question:

Quick question:

legitimatehypnotist
04-09-2012, 02:43 PM
So Nyx hit really close to the weight I should be switching her to regular sized adults. Usually, I start them off a few grams early. I put the mouse in and she at first, seemed uninterested. The mouse isn't huge at all, only a tiny bit bigger than the widest part of her body, it really looked like it would be fine. So I put the mouse down and covered half of the feeding container. When I went back into the room a few minutes later, she had the head in her mouth, but was having trouble with the top shoulders. After half an hour of her trying and trying, she couldn't get it down. Her tail is slightly pale, but I don't think she's going into shed, I think she's hungry.
My question is, since the shop we get her mice from is closed for the holidays, should I feed her a large fuzzy to hold her over?
I'm afraid to try again, I don't want to have another large mouse go to waste if it's actually too big for her right now, and I know she won't starve, but I hate to see her being all crazy on the hunt all day lol.

Nanci
04-09-2012, 02:51 PM
I'd give her a couple fuzzies. I generally let them get to 180-200 grams before switching to adult mice, and I start off with 21-22 gram mice. (Coming off of 19-20 gram weanlings).

legitimatehypnotist
04-09-2012, 02:57 PM
That's exactly what I did. She's 179 grams right now. She's always had a narrow head, though. I had to wait until she hit 24 grams until she could eat a whole fuzzy lol, but since she's been growing like a weed I figured it wouldn't hurt since the weanlings I was feeding her were huge.
I guess I was proven WRONG haha. Thanks for the help, I'll grab a few more weanlings and then we'll try this again :)