PDA

View Full Version : Snakey strikes at food with closed mouth

Snakey strikes at food with closed mouth

lsherry@earthlink.ne
04-11-2012, 01:19 AM
Snakey (yes, that's his name) has been very active but not eating for 7 weeks (similar to last year, probably seasonal?). After refusing adult mice several weeks, we went to smaller feed. He has eaten a single hopper/fuzzy twice in the last 2 weeks, but when offered a second he either ignores it, or appears to strike but without opening his jaw. Today his jaw looks crooked, a little open on one side. Did he break his jaw striking at the glass or something? Why would he appear to strike, but have trouble with his jaw?

Erika N.
04-11-2012, 01:24 AM
Do you happen to have any pictures of the suspected injury?

lsherry@earthlink.ne
04-11-2012, 02:08 AM
I'll try to post a pic in the morning. thanks

lsherry@earthlink.ne
04-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Crookedness of his jaw was resolved by morning - thanks. Still he pokes at the hopper, but shows no interest in eating. The last 2 times he ate, he had trouble gripping the hopper/fuzzy. What could be possible jaw problems?
Maybe I'm just getting paranoid that his eating has been off for so long - I checked my records: He did not eat at all for 5 weeks, then ate a large fuzzy on 3/23, another on 3/30, and another on 4/9. Last year he went 9 weeks from March to May without eating. We did take him to a vet then, but never identified the problem.
Maybe someone could just tell me to stop worrying???

AliCat37
04-11-2012, 11:16 PM
It really could be seasonal. A lot of males will go off feed at this time of year because they have other things on their minds (girls, girls, girls!!!). As long as he doesn't lose a whole lot of weight quickly, I wouldn't worry about it. My ball python (TOTALLY opposite snakes, but still) just ate his first rat in over 6 months.

WingedSweetheart
04-11-2012, 11:30 PM
I wouldn't worry unless he looses a lot of weight. If he is old enough to be into mating (some start at just a year old) then it may be a seasonal thing. My male kingsnake went 3 months without eating. Showed no interest in food. I could get him to eat a pinkie or peach fuzzy every now and again. But most of the time he would act like he wanted it. Then just poke at it and end up ignoring it.

proileri
04-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Is he a male? It can be quite common for males to not to eat for a while during the reproductive season in spring. Other things in their mind :)