PDA

View Full Version : Baby snake stopped eating

Baby snake stopped eating

herbager
04-15-2012, 04:16 PM
So I have one of my last year's clutch hatched 10/18 that stopped eating
3/14 and shed 4/1. Respiration seems ok and no noise or mucus...it's like it just decided to wind down. Lays quietly disinterested in life with it's body loosely coiled outside of it's hide with only it's head in the entry. I've had great success and only one slow feeder (not this snake though). This little guy ate 10/23 and every week since. Shed 5 times total. I've tried various ways to stimulate feeding and I honestly worry that it isn't even drinking...
The others are all doing fine. All housed the same way.

Would be interested in hearing if this is an occasional problem with babies
and if anyone has snapped one out of this.

bitsy
04-15-2012, 04:25 PM
Sometimes they have internal issues which only cause health problems as they grow. The example my vet used, was a Corn with a kidney that wasn't developing properly. It would support the hatchling up to a certain point, but once it reached the tipping point, the organ could no longer cope and failed.

Unexplained deaths in hatchlings seem to occur at any time up to a year of age - sometimes very suddenly and with no problems apparent in the lead-up.

I hope someone can offer suggestions on what to try next. The only "fading" hatchlings I've ever had, have been non-feeders.

herbager
04-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the info. A very pretty granite with nice diffusion....

bitsy
04-15-2012, 05:19 PM
*sigh* Murphy's Law in play again. Hope he picks up for you.