PDA

View Full Version : first time regurge need help please:''(

first time regurge need help please:''(

inluvwithmycorns
04-16-2012, 10:19 AM
First off Iam so upset right now I don't know where to begin I need help, I have already read the regurge protocol and Iam follow as of now but here's my questions he was last fed this past sat he always always feds no problems at al on a peach fuzzy... Well now I'm really Thinking that this last time he ate just before this last sat so two feeds ago is where the prob was.. our power had went out and I ended up loosing all my food ! So this last my food so this last feed the one before sat had to get food from local pet store I'm thinking it was a lol bigger than normal but seemed to take it and keep it down just fine as normal so I know the regurge has happened sometime between last feed and this one on past sat but I didn't k.ow till just now! I went in every day almost since two feeds ago and haven't seen anything till today, when I lifted water bowl ... Publish looking tummy stuff all under the bowl now I'm smelling the worst smell ever plus he also started acting different.. not coming out of his hide for about a week so now I just got off the phone with the vet she said to soak him today as much as poss in warm water inside his tank... I wanted to ask here so I do nothing to further damage him does this sound like good advice and also anything else I can do I also plan to pick up nutribac ASAP we made a appointment for tomm... This will be our first time seeing this vet any and all advice is ao very much appreciated Iam sorry for dragging on but Iam so worried I luv my sunny boy so much I feel sooo awful also just wanted to male sure to give all the info thanks

inluvwithmycorns
04-16-2012, 10:22 AM
First off Iam so upset right now I don't know where to begin I need help, I have already read the regurge protocol and Iam follow as of now but here's my questions he was last fed this past sat he always always feds no problems at al on a peach fuzzy... Well now I'm really Thinking that this last time he ate just before this last sat so two feeds ago is where the prob was.. our power had went out and I ended up loosing all my food ! So this last my food so this last feed the one before sat had to get food from local pet store I'm thinking it was a lol bigger than normal but seemed to take it and keep it down just fine as normal so I know the regurge has happened sometime between last feed and this one on past sat but I didn't k.ow till just now! I went in every day almost since two feeds ago and haven't seen anything till today, when I lifted water bowl ... Publish looking tummy stuff all under the bowl now I'm smelling the worst smell ever plus he also started acting different.. not coming out of his hide for about a week so now I just got off the phone with the vet she said to soak him today as much as poss in warm water inside his tank... I wanted to ask here so I do nothing to further damage him does this sound like good advice and also anything else I can do I also plan to pick up nutribac ASAP we made a appointment for tomm... This will be our first time seeing this vet any and all advice is ao very much appreciated Iam sorry for dragging on but Iam so worried I luv my sunny boy so much I feel sooo awful also just wanted to male sure to give all the info thanks
I'm so sorry about that the speling uhhh this stupid phone inputs words and letters oh my I mean pinkish color and runny looking

Nanci
04-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Is he blue? Could that be why he isn't coming out?

AliCat37
04-16-2012, 10:31 AM
Also, don't soak in warm water. If the water is warm to us, then it is hotter than our body temps, and obviously hotter than a corn can handle. I'm not sure why you'd soak him either o.o
I think you'll be okay if you just follow the regurge protocol. My little petco kid is now eating her food without nutribac and is doing excellent. They seem to turn around fine with the nutribac.

inluvwithmycorns
04-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Also, don't soak in warm water. If the water is warm to us, then it is hotter than our body temps, and obviously hotter than a corn can handle. I'm not sure why you'd soak him either o.o
I think you'll be okay if you just follow the regurge protocol. My little petco kid is now eating her food without nutribac and is doing excellent. They seem to turn around fine with the nutribac.

Ok see thanks this is why I wanted to ask here first and before giving money to someone who may or may not know what thier doing... But she said to soak in warm water and because it helps to relax thier muscles???
Also how much does that nutribac usuallycost I'm also worried about ordering online because I need it like now .. also he still shows no signs of being in blue or in shedd really and this is another reason why I think this happened sometime ago between the last two feedings ..
Thanks so much .for the help. I also know not to use ' warm' water because of that reason and this is something that's already got me a lil thrown off about this vet.

AliCat37
04-16-2012, 10:44 AM
You can always use a cooking thermometer to make sure the water is about 88 degrees. I personally think that they should just be left completely alone when having regurge problems, but it is up to you. I still don't know what benefit you'll have from soaking. The nutribac will arrive in a few days. Then you can use it in the water for 3 days or so before offering a small meal. Remember snakes can go for a while without a meal, so it is not critical that you get it now just soon. I waited almost two weeks before offering my little regurger food again, and it was just a pinky head. Then after another 10 days she got another 1/3 of pinky, and so on.

Nanci
04-16-2012, 11:00 AM
I don't really see what the point of soaking the snake in warm water is, either. Nutribac is about $8-12.

inluvwithmycorns
04-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Ya I really don't know... So do you guys think he will be ok then do you think I should take him ? Also is there any other way/place to find the nutribac? Thanks for your help

bitsy
04-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Personally I wouldn't take him to the vet.

Sounds like the advice you've had from that direction so far is suspect. Also, the snake will have been stressed by the regurge, so carrying him from one place to another will only make that worse.

In any case there's no specific veterinary treatment for regurging (vet-only drugs, injections etc) unless theres some underlying cause like parasites - at this stage, you have a one-off regurge probably caused by too big a food item, so there's no reason to suspect other health problems. You should be able to sort it out at home by following the advice above and the regurge protocol. The vet would just give you further (possibly questionable) advice on what you can do yourself at home.

Just keep an eye on him. If he develops other symptoms or loses a significant amount of weight, then you can rethink the vet. Other than that, it's peace and quiet with as little handling as possible.