PDA

View Full Version : non feeder (help)

non feeder (help)

firfly
04-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Ok so I am purchasing a couple of corns off a member from the sight one is a non feeder. I have never dealt with this problem befor with snakes, and am looking for any and all suggestions. My vet is fairly sure she can get him to eat if all else fails. However I would prefer to work this out on my own just for experience sake. I have read quite a bit on the subject but would like to know what has worked for others in the past.

Lennycorn
04-21-2012, 11:39 PM
I haven't had to deal with a non-feeder so I can't help much there but what have you tried so far so others won't give you the same information.

Iguanagirl8662
04-22-2012, 12:21 AM
Has the person your getting it from tried a live pinkie? Normally if they won't eat a F/T pinkie for a few feedings, I will try leaving them in with a F/T pinkie overnight and if that doesn't work I will offer a live pinkie. If that works when they are eating reliably on the live pinkie I will switch back to F/T. That worked for me but there are a lot of other methods too.

diamondlil
04-22-2012, 03:52 AM
Dealing with non-feeders can be heartbreaking, sometimes absolutely nothing works, so can the breeder not hold the hatchling for you until it is feeding?

bitsy
04-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Part way down this FAQ thread, is a section on non-feeding hatchlings written by Kathy Love. Worth trying everything there:

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342

Another trick is to drive them around the block or put them next to a running washing machine (in a secure tub). Nobody knows why this sometimes works, but the vibration may stimulate them to eat in some way. You might find that by the time it's been transported to you, it's ready to eat.

firfly
04-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the replies, these guys where originaly purchased from Steve R. they are two ultra lavs both ph motely purchased as a pair. The female is feeding fine, the male is the non feeder. Things that have been tried thus far, is leaving the pink over night, braining a pink and leaving over night, she also has tried scenting the pink with tuna, and will try to feed agian befor shipping. I thought maybe halfing pink, or using just a pink head, I have no probelm trying the live pink if it gets the little one eating. As a matter of fact I will try just about anything to save the little one so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

firfly
04-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Sorry original purchase from Steve Roylance.

firfly
04-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Also in all fairness, The current owner is giving me a great deal, on these beauties, the male is free. She just dosnt have the time right now to give this guy. Thanks for the thread bitsy, and the live suggestion Iguanagirl.

screamindemon17
04-22-2012, 12:38 PM
i had two non feeders and they went four weeks and i had tried everything and a buddy told me to get a gecko and make it drop its tail put the snake in with the tail and see if that works .. one it did the first time. then the other i put the gecko in the feeding pal with the snake and she actually ate the hole gecko.. which i wouldnt recka mend that could couse regergatation. and dont use wild live food it could have parasites....i hope this helps

Wyldrose
04-22-2012, 01:09 PM
I have one girl who would not eat for me. I bought some anoles from the petshop and rubbed her f/t pinky all over the anole and she wolfed it down! So that might be an option. So once a week I catch one of the anoles, and it gets a dead rodent rubbed all over it lol! It's working and she is eating. I tried an unscented mouse last week and she didnt touch it. Rubbed the anole on it and she ate.

firfly
04-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks Screamin, and wyldrose, that makes 3 people which have suggested the lizard scenting food. I may try this one first and see what happens, the snakes should arrive Tues. Think I will go Anole shopping, or maybe even rub a pink all over one the geckos we have and see.

firfly
04-22-2012, 06:56 PM
Also found someone with live pinks if, this will also be one of the first things tried.

Wyldrose
04-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Good luck! Hope he gets eating for you :) Maybe the trip to you will get him to eat.

firfly
04-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Good luck! Hope he gets eating for you :) Maybe the trip to you will get him to eat.

Thats what I am praying will happen.

firfly
04-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Just out of curious how long you would go on trying to feed, befor force feeding a little one?

diamondlil
04-23-2012, 03:29 AM
One of my first snakes, Diamond Lil, was the reason I joined this site all those years ago, because she was starving to death as a non-feeder. When she was so thin you could see her spine I started syringe feeding her ground up pinks. By then I'd tried scenting, braining etc but in this country you can't buy live pinks. I got breeder mice and had to 'grow my own' pinks and she did eventually start eating. Personally, I'd try live pinks before tube feeding every time, but for me it bought Lil time and kept her from dying whilst waiting for live pinks.
I also rehabbed a non-feeder for someone else that came to me in a far worse state, it was 3g and had no muscle tone at all by the time he brought her to me, so I had to tube feed to get her big and strong enough to try live, which she then took to with gusto. when I'd got her feeding reliably on f/t and a good weight she went back to her owner.
I'd tube feed and work on a snake that was a pet again if I was asked, but I don't try special measures on the corns I breed. If they don't feed with simple things like braining, scenting etc I cull them. Not because I'm heartless, but because I only want to sell healthy trouble-free hatchlings. I don't want to risk selling snakes that won't thrive for their new owners. Plus there is always the thought in my mind that non-feeders are perhaps just not meant to survive, that they may have genetic or developmental problems that I don't want to be perpetuated.
One of the respected breeders on here described a 3 strikes policy towards hatchlings, which I thought was a terribly wicked attitude until I experienced the heartache of owning a corn that seemed determined to die in spite of all my efforts to save her. And then realised that for me I feel I have a duty to only sell corns that have a good chance of long and healthy lives for their new owners

bitsy
04-23-2012, 03:35 AM
Can't rep you again yet Janine, but much respect to you. Sometimes the tough decisions are the right ones.

diamondlil
04-23-2012, 03:43 AM
Can't rep you again yet Janine, but much respect to you. Sometimes the tough decisions are the right ones.
My little fire male died last year, started off a good feeder, then just stopped and I culled him when he was losing condition. Cried literally all night. My very own, home-bred fire. He was one of the few out Polly's clutch to hatch so I'm thinking there were problems all along and he just wasn't meant to survive.

firfly
04-23-2012, 10:50 AM
I can understand that from a breeders perspective, however more than likely these will be kept as just pets. Not that I would never consider breeding, just fairly busy with other things. My corn snake inventory is limited to just one reverse Okeetee, other than these two coming in, so time limits working with him arent a real issue, plus there is the whole gaining experience thing. I just hope the trip down here does the trick, along with a live pink.

diamondlil
04-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Live. most times, does the trick. Fingers crossed for you

Soulwind
04-23-2012, 12:43 PM
So far I've been blessed with only good feeders.

Seriously, get a mouse anywhere even close to Ori's feeding box and he tail-rattles like a buzzsaw and then strikes from 1/2 way across the box to get that mouse......nom nom nom.....makes me smile every time.

But I'm curious, if you end up going with live pinkies, do you just stay with them or do you try and wean them over to F/T quickly? Do one or two live feeds then try a F/T or what? (or do you keep them on live pinkies and maybe try switching over when they go up to fuzzies?)??

firfly
04-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Live. most times, does the trick. Fingers crossed for you

Thanks, Diamondlil.

firfly
04-23-2012, 01:38 PM
So far I've been blessed with only good feeders.

Seriously, get a mouse anywhere even close to Ori's feeding box and he tail-rattles like a buzzsaw and then strikes from 1/2 way across the box to get that mouse......nom nom nom.....makes me smile every time.

But I'm curious, if you end up going with live pinkies, do you just stay with them or do you try and wean them over to F/T quickly? Do one or two live feeds then try a F/T or what? (or do you keep them on live pinkies and maybe try switching over when they go up to fuzzies?)??

Thats my plan if he will take a live pink, then I will probably feed him two or three times that way. Then see if I can get him to take the F/T, from what I have read most will switch over, I just need to get him eating. Fingers crossed!

diamondlil
04-23-2012, 01:41 PM
No worries. As I said before, for a pet I was going to keep or as a favour to save someone else's pet, I'd tube feed if necessary. Losing a pet is heartbreaking.
For my breeders though, live is the limit I'll go to and even then I'm constrained by live feeding being so difficult here. You cannot buy a live mouse as a feeder. You cannot buy live pinkies. If you get a hatchling started by breeding your own pinks (totally legal) any new owner cannot legally buy live pinks, so you have to get the snake feeding reliably on FT before it goes to a new home.

firfly
04-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Well, I have everything lined out, for the new arrivals. While a little worried, it is hard not to be excited, as I do have a female coming which is currently feeding, the male was free ,as the current owner dosnt really have time for a non feeder, so just a plus. Both are Ultramel Lavender ph motely, I know all about the big ultra hybrid ,not hybrid thing ,but I think these particular snakes are gorgeous and like the look of the Ultras myself. I want to thank everyone for their help and ideas in dealing with a non feeder. I feel much better about dealing with this now, I will keep you all posted on how feeding gos. The soonest I can get a live pink will be Friday, so if they ship today, if not they will be shipped Wed.

mini4x
04-23-2012, 05:27 PM
for my two non-feeders I go them both going using the 'slap' method.. you basically hold the snakes body fairly tight fairly close to the head, and bop him in the nose a bunch of times with the pinky, he'll get annoyed and strike at it, once they get a hit down the hatch it goes.. two or three times doing that and they are both on to regular feeding.

firfly
04-23-2012, 06:47 PM
for my two non-feeders I go them both going using the 'slap' method.. you basically hold the snakes body fairly tight fairly close to the head, and bop him in the nose a bunch of times with the pinky, he'll get annoyed and strike at it, once they get a hit down the hatch it goes.. two or three times doing that and they are both on to regular feeding.

Thanks, mini4x I have been looking for an explination of slap feeding as it was suggested, but I could never find a how to.

schnebbles
04-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Hi - I'm selling firfly these snakes. (PS - I haven't tried tuna, don't have any right now)

Question - Can I slice a frozen pinky in half and try that tonight? of course thawed after I slice it. I would like to get some food in him before he goes.

Yes they will be very nice, don't think you get a bad snake from Steve R.

firfly
04-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Hi - I'm selling firfly these snakes. (PS - I haven't tried tuna, don't have any right now)

Question - Can I slice a frozen pinky in half and try that tonight? of course thawed after I slice it. I would like to get some food in him before he goes.

Yes they will be very nice, don't think you get a bad snake from Steve R.

Of course, try what ever you want may be he will take it. LOL, sorry I guess I could have just named the saler instead of talking third person like that.

schnebbles
04-23-2012, 08:29 PM
that's ok! I don't mind at all. It probably wouldn't have mentioned the name of seller either.

I'm gonna try slicing a pinky here in a minute. Might work, might not, but anything is worth a try. I kinda tried slapping last time but it didn't work. This guy is so tiny and frisky! He needs handled more, he rattles his itty bitty tail, lol!

firfly
04-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Hey, Kathy did you ever try a live pink with him? You kind of threw me off when you posted that question up there. I kept thinking surely she isnt asking me lol, I have no earthly idea why. My local raiser of feeders, should have a freshly born or very close to pink aviable to try once he settles in here.

schnebbles
04-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Nope.. I didn't. I have trouble finding them here. If you have live, that would be a great idea.

Tonight I cut a frozen one in half and I have to check on them, but sometimes they don't eat until later.

Any small size would work for him, he's very tiny.

firfly
04-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Sounds good, I am sure something will work with him, just let me know how it gos. Live pinks arent hard for me to get I just have to get to her store befor she freezes them. I called today, and asked her to hold me at least one or two smaller ones. She said they would be waiting on me. Hopefully if he dosnt eat tonight the trip will get him going.

schnebbles
04-24-2012, 11:38 AM
He didn't eat :( stubborn! I'm going to send tomorrow b/c our low is 54. Tonight is 39.

firfly
04-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Works for me, thanks Kathy.

screamindemon17
04-26-2012, 12:20 AM
so no luck at this time... will you keep me posted on this little guy... i keep checking up on your progress with him... good luck

firfly
04-26-2012, 09:12 AM
Yeah, I will post on is progress. Think the first thing I try will the live pink, they should arrive here in about 2hrs.

schnebbles
04-26-2012, 11:49 AM
I'm anxious as well!

firfly
04-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Well they arrived safely, one small but fiesty male, and female who has obviously been feeding both are gorgeous. Both did find their water bowls, and believe it or not the male actually seems more active than the female right now. I want to give them both a couple of days to get acclimated, befor trying to feed. Ill get some pics up, after they get used to their new home. I am considering trying the live pink on the male Sat. morning thinking the long trip might have him ready to go, well see.

diamondlil
04-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Good luck!

firfly
04-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Thanks, Diamondlil whats bothering me is the only day I can pick up live pinks is tomorrow, which I am on duty at the firehouse. Will a pinky make it overnight, or would it be best to try tomorrow?

diamondlil
04-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Thanks, Diamondlil whats bothering me is the only day I can pick up live pinks is tomorrow, which I am on duty at the firehouse. Will a pinky make it overnight, or would it be best to try tomorrow?
To be honest, I'd give the pinky in the feeding tub as soon as possible to take advantage of the move (some cases the non-feeding snake will eat right away before settling, as Lil did when I took her on a train journey back for the shop to get her feeding), that way if the first feeding doesn't work you can then leave the snake to settle before trying again.

firfly
04-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Sounds good, I will try it tomorrow then.

firfly
04-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Well, I guess I can try the F/T tuna scented pinky tonight if he dosnt take it, I am sure Aries will make sure it dosnt go to waste.

firfly
04-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Well, I thawed a pinky brained it and covered it in warm tuna juice, I guess thats what you would call it. Placed him in a small deli cup,which has been placed in a nice quite dark place, temp in that room is 79.3 degrees. We will see what happens.

schnebbles
04-27-2012, 12:02 PM
He is feisty isn't he? Did he eat it? I'm guessing not. I hope the live works.

firfly
04-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Nope, I am going to try live, then rubbing a pink down with an anole, if he wont eat by this time next week, Ill force feed him and start all over in 5 days. He is a very active little guy and seems to be hunting in his enclosure so I really think I have a good chance with the live pink.

schnebbles
04-27-2012, 05:46 PM
I do too. I was gonna suggest scenting it with an anole. Like I said, my friends 4 that I tried to feed, 2 of them eventually ate on their own, so he's not in any danger of starving yet I don't think. my girl was 3 months when I got her.

firfly
04-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Went to get the live pink, and wouldnt you know it. No live pinks, so I have to wait until Wen. So guess Ill try the anole trick.

schnebbles
04-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Anole is likely to work!

firfly
04-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Well went and purchased one anole today, rubbed down the pinky mouse much to the anoles displeasure, and placed in the enclosure on his favorite hide to keep him from having a chance at ingesting the substraight. This might work he actually is right by the food like he is interested, but hasnt taken it yet. Last time he just slithered right over the pinky showing no interest what so ever. I will keep ya posted.

schnebbles
04-29-2012, 12:34 PM
did he eat it?

firfly
04-30-2012, 01:45 AM
No he sit there and watched it for about 2 minutes then lost interest. I will try live on Wen. Whsn was the last feeding for the female.

schnebbles
04-30-2012, 11:11 AM
You need to (IMO) not leave mouse in his cage. Put him in the deli cup so he can't get away from it. That's what everyone says to do, otherwise it's too easy to just go away. you could try the slap method first, then if it doesn't work, keep him in close proximity in the deli cup, overnight. That's when my non-feeder ate, was during the night. And once the female you have ate overnight. She was due to eat last night. So she ate last tuesday. You could even try an anole scented one tonight in the deli, and if he doesn't eat that way, try live wednesday.

diamondlil
04-30-2012, 12:21 PM
I wouldn't try the non-feeder more than once every 5 days, personally. No handling, no disturbance, then a live pink in a deli in the viv overnight, covered up and no checking at all until morning.

firfly
04-30-2012, 09:44 PM
I will try the female tomorrow, she wouldnt eat the other night, however she shed about an hour ago and that could be why.

schnebbles
05-01-2012, 02:47 PM
You should put her in the deli cup too. I always did and she didn't always eat right away but she would eat overnight. I put the deli cups in the vivs as well. Make sure the lids are on or they sneak out!

firfly
05-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Well I guess all the live pinks died during transport so I decided to try the anole scent agian. This time both babies where placed in small deli cups, and covered up. The female didnt hesitate at all taking the pink befor I could cover her, so I let the lump get to the middle of her body and released her into her viv. I will check on the male in the morning and let everyone know.

schnebbles
05-02-2012, 09:23 PM
I hope he eats!!! maybe the scent of live (well dead but never frozen) will help? I don't know. Hopefully this works, but next, I think I'd try anole scented in the deli.

I'll check tomorrow!

firfly
05-02-2012, 09:44 PM
They where both scented with the anole, I have never had this much trouble finding live pinks of the things.

schnebbles
05-03-2012, 11:17 AM
so he didn't eat? give him time.

firfly
05-03-2012, 02:38 PM
so he didn't eat? give him time.

Nope, not this time.:headbang:

schnebbles
05-04-2012, 10:51 AM
I think he will eventually. I'd keep trying every 4-5 days with anole scented in the deli, or if you get lucky to get live pinkys that would probably work.

firfly
05-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Well still no luck, the female is growing and this little fella is so small.

firfly
05-11-2012, 03:13 PM
I returned from the store today with a live pink, we shall see.

firfly
05-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Well, no luck with the live pink, however we do have first successful feeding although forced one pinky head no regurge. So I feel better knowing he has eaten something, hopefully one force feeding will get him going.

screamindemon17
05-14-2012, 11:27 AM
How does one force feed a young snake? What tools are used ? I have my first and second clutches this year and i want to be 100% sure my little ones eat. And if not willingly i can do the force feed so to hopefully give them a chance to eat by themselfs the next time i offer food. I wont sale them until they have eatten atleast 4 times on there own.

firfly
05-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Sorry, screamin there are probably a lot more experienced people who can better answer the question. I used my 18" thin tongs, and talked to alot of other keepers, watched alot of videos befor attempting this. That would be my suggestion to you tons of information on this sight just ask, also tons of videos and how to, on the web.

schnebbles
05-16-2012, 07:03 PM
force feeding is kind of difficult, maybe more time consuming and frustrating sometimes than actually difficult - I bet the 18" thin tongs are great. I watched web videos too.

I hope the little guy eats!! He still has time though. Maybe next try the live pinky with anole scent?

firfly
05-16-2012, 10:37 PM
force feeding is kind of difficult, maybe more time consuming and frustrating sometimes than actually difficult - I bet the 18" thin tongs are great. I watched web videos too.

I hope the little guy eats!! He still has time though. Maybe next try the live pinky with anole scent?

Yeah, I think he will catch on, I will offer and if nothing else another pinky head down the hatch. I do feel alot better though knowing he has had something to eat.

schnebbles
05-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Keep me posted! you can email if you still have my email. I'm not on here much. Only to check on the baby!

firfly
05-19-2012, 11:30 PM
He is still not taking food on his own, I force feed him last night this time half a pink. He swallowed it down right away this time. I figure he will catch on here in a couple more feedings. His BM is normal, he drinks plenty of water, and has had no regurges, and looks to be gaining a little weight, so I am hopeful.

schnebbles
06-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Eating any better? I hope so :)

solrwind
06-04-2012, 12:41 PM
it is a shame he won5 eat i dont know what it feels like because my albino corn ate well all his life but im glad to hear that your snake is gaining wait i hope he catches on soon

firfly
06-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Still no luck on his own, he has been force feed three times, however has shed and continues to gain weight. Feeding day is tomorrow so hopeing.

firfly
07-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Great news guys, and gals today he ate!!!!Whoooooooooooooooo

firfly
07-10-2012, 09:32 PM
It was so rewarding to see this guy eat on his own, after months of force feeding him, and wondering if something was wrong with his jaw structure, what a reliefe.

screamindemon17
07-10-2012, 11:42 PM
That is great news... Im happy for ya

firfly
07-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Thanks screamin, I appologize for the horrible spelling, I am just seriously excited.

diamondlil
07-11-2012, 04:19 AM
Great news guys, and gals today he ate!!!!Whoooooooooooooooo
:dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::dancer::d ancer::dancer:
That's wonderful!

Kate
07-11-2012, 05:57 AM
:dancer: :rofl::crazy02:
I am so glad he ate!!

Nanci
07-11-2012, 07:09 AM
Great news!! What did he finally eat??

firfly
08-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Well, here is the update and happy ending to this thread, my little guy has eaten successfully multiple times now. The first four times he required gecko scented pink, however the fifth feeding he actually attacked the pink befor I could release it, so I tried a non scented pink nothing so, I tried picking up with the tongs as soon as he saw the movement he was all over the pink, so the feeding problems have ended. I wanted to thank everyone who has helped me in dealing with this. I couldnt have done it with out all of your help.

MysticExotics
08-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Well, here is the update and happy ending to this thread, my little guy has eaten successfully multiple times now. The first four times he required gecko scented pink, however the fifth feeding he actually attacked the pink befor I could release it, so I tried a non scented pink nothing so, I tried picking up with the tongs as soon as he saw the movement he was all over the pink, so the feeding problems have ended. I wanted to thank everyone who has helped me in dealing with this. I couldnt have done it with out all of your help.

That's awesome! I'm glad your non feeder is now established!

Aneta
08-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Hi,I bought a corn snake on December.She was 1 year old and everything was ok till now.She don't want to eat.Last time she ate four weeks ago and she's not interested in food.She looks healthy and I didn't recognise any changes on her body.She is very lively and I don't know What to do:( Actually this my daughters snake and she's worry about her snake.If anyone can help me,I don't know what to do.Till last time our snake ate medium mice but now she don't want them anymore.

bitsy
08-18-2012, 03:57 AM
Check the temperature on the floor of the tank, on the warm side, with a digital or infra-red thermometer (not the cardboard strip or plastic dial ones, which can be 20+ degrees out either way). If they get too hot this can make them over-active and put them off their food - the wrong temps mean they can't digest properly.

I know it sounds daft, but tweaking the temperature can be the easiest quick fix for feeding problems. It's something that can either happen suddenly or gradually, so just because she's been OK in the setup since December, it still could be the root cause.

Other than that, is she due a shed? Some refuse food when they're coming up to that point and again, it's a behaviour which can pop up suddenly. The activity points to something else though, as they usually very timid and hidey during a shed.

Aneta
08-18-2012, 08:14 AM
She is after shedding , it was two weeks ago , but I'll check the temperature as you said and thank you very much for your help

bitsy
08-18-2012, 09:34 AM
Good luck - let us know how it goes!

Aneta
08-18-2012, 12:23 PM
I will ;))

schnebbles
08-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Firfly - I'm SO glad to hear this!!!!

Aneta
08-19-2012, 06:04 AM
I will ;))

Hi ,I checked temperature but in a terrarium is a thermostat and a temperature sensor is at the bottom of the terrarium, the thermostat shows 23 degrees Celsius ,in terrarium we use a hitting mat to heat and LED bulbs to give her light ,so they give not a lot of heat. I am confused a bit ,Is it good or bad ? I haven't got this special termometre, and till this time she feels good in this temperature and from the beginning is all the same ,should I change that? Or maybe is some other reason ?

bitsy
08-19-2012, 06:29 AM
23C (73F) is a good cool side temperature, but about 10 degrees too low for the warm side floor. It could well be putting her off eating.

You need to use a digital or infra-red thermometer to check these temps (sorry, I'm rather confused about what you actually have) as the reading on the thermostat isn't necessarily going to be accurate.

If you confirm that the warm side floor is 23C, then you need to turn the thermostat up until the thermometer reads around 29C (84F) on the warm side floor inside the tank.

LED bulbs give off very little heat but they are good for lighting. Just concentrate on the heat mat. As you have a thermostat to regulate it, you should be able to get the warm side floor to the correct temperature.

However I can't emphasise enough that you need a digital or infra-red thermometer (if you don't already have one), and that you need to be measuring the temperature on the floor at the warm side immediately above the heat mat. Those are the keys to getting things right for your lass.

Aneta
08-20-2012, 04:48 AM
Finaly she Ate !! Today morning ;)))) Thanks for yout help I am do happy

leswamp
11-05-2012, 03:47 PM
I've adopted a rescue corn snake from hurricane Sandy. It's very young, probably 11 inches long, a lot like a garter snake. He's hand tame, active, drinks his water, has defecated, has a 10 gallon tank with 3 hides in 3 different temp zones, etc. No mites, no bony ridges, etc. After 4 days of leaving him to get settled I tried a deli cup feed with a pinky to no avail. I'm trying again in about 5 days. While I've had snakes I've never had young snakes and I've never had corns so I'm feeling out of my depth. Reading this thread in hopes of getting my guy to eat!

Nanci
11-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Are you positive it's a cornsnake? Do you have a picture? Where did it come from?

leswamp
11-05-2012, 07:39 PM
It's definitely a corn, ID'd by 3 corn owners. Plus it's original owner whose house was destroyed by Sandy. The picture is in my icon, though I can post the same pic larger if you like. It came from someone whose house was wrecked by the storm. (They only had it for 3 days!) It's hard for me to get a lot of background info on the poor thing because of the rescue craziness. Right now I'm assuming it's stressed and giving it 5 days til I try another deli cup feed. I'm open to advice obviously. Thanks for your response!

Nanci
11-05-2012, 07:47 PM
I'd try boiled, slit, in a covered deli cup.

leswamp
11-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Boiled, slit and deli cup is the current plan, so confirmation is good. :) Now I've never had to boil a pinky before. It's my understanding you thaw as usual then either pour boiling water over it or place briefly in boiling water til the color change. What's your advice on how best to boil? Thanks!

Nanci
11-05-2012, 08:07 PM
I'd thaw and pour boiling water over it. It cooks instantly. I sit through the head and back, and serve boiling hot.

Pugsley
11-05-2012, 08:13 PM
I put a Corning Ware coffee cup 2/3 full of water in the microwave heat for a couple of minutes, then drop the thawed pinkie into it. Take cup to feeding area, use tongs to take out pinkie, put into deli cup, put snakeling into deli cup, put the lid on deli cup, put deli cup under a pillow and leave alone for an hour. Worked for me!

Boiled, slit and deli cup is the current plan, so confirmation is good. :) Now I've never had to boil a pinky before. It's my understanding you thaw as usual then either pour boiling water over it or place briefly in boiling water til the color change. What's your advice on how best to boil? Thanks!

leswamp
11-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Then that is what I shall do come Friday. Thank you! I'll let you know how he makes out! Thanks again!

leswamp
11-05-2012, 08:16 PM
I put a Corning Ware coffee cup 2/3 full of water in the microwave heat for a couple of minutes, then drop the thawed pinkie into it. Take cup to feeding area, use tongs to take out pinkie, put into deli cup, put snakeling into deli cup, put the lid on deli cup, put deli cup under a pillow and leave alone for an hour. Worked for me!

Thanks Pugsley. I'm considering putting a towel over the tank the deli cup will be in to enhance darkness/privacy but I'm wondering if that will affect air or temp adversely?

Pugsley
11-05-2012, 08:25 PM
I cover many of mine when feeding with tea towels. I don't think there will be any problem with covering up with a towel.

leswamp
11-05-2012, 08:33 PM
I cover many of mine when feeding with tea towels. I don't think there will be any problem with covering up with a towel.

Thanks! I appreciate the help!

leswamp
11-08-2012, 02:54 AM
We're having a gas shortage in NYC, meaning I can't get to any pet stores, we're far away from all of them and it's snowing. A friend grabbed a small anole for me to see if the snake would eat that. Since I had the anole and nothing to do with it I gave it a shot with the deli cup. No dice. Snake has now gone 7 days without eating. (It drinks plenty.) If it were an adult I'd be less concerned. Going to resume the pinkie plan on Monday. I've noticed the snake just curls up in the deli cup as far from the prey as he can get. I'm wondering if the deli cup method freaks him out too much? (I'm sticking to adult, established feeders from now on. This little guy is making me crazy.) I'm probably doing a million things wrong. Feel free to let me know. :)

Nanci
11-08-2012, 05:36 AM
How often are you trying to feed him?? You should only try every four or five days. And once you feed him an anole, it's a thousand times harder to feed him pinks ever again. That's like the VERY last thing to ever try. Do you have other snakes?

leswamp
11-08-2012, 06:18 AM
2 ball pythons but they eat every rodent they get. Always have. The anole happened because of the gas shortage. I guess it's lucky he didn't eat it then. Not trying to feed him again til Monday and then going with a pinky. We're snowed in and gassed out so we're making due with what my friends bring. I've all ready asked for no more anoles. Question now is, do I continue with the deli cup or try placing food near his favorite hide? What do you think? Thanks. :)

leswamp
11-08-2012, 06:24 AM
Also, if you think I should wait longer than Monday, by all means let me know.

Nanci
11-08-2012, 08:00 AM
Monday is fine. What happened to the anole? What are you keeping the snake in? And is he on paper towels, or aspen?

leswamp
11-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Anole in freezer in case it's ever needed for scenting. (Unlikely) Snake in 10 gallon glass tank with UTH, 3 different temp hides and water. (No special lighting.) Substrate is newspaper. (newspaper given time to dry so ink does not run.) 6 sheets of newspaper as instructed by a different corn snake forum, (one on fb I think, been getting info everywhere I can including the book by Bill and Kathy Love.) so as not to burn the snake with UTH. (No worries there, snake roams to different hides.Has no burns.) If I do put a pinkie in without a deli cup, it'll just go on a folded paper towel. (Unless you suggest I continue with deli cup.) He just curls up in the cup as far from the food as he can get so I'm not sure cup is helping. (I give him about 8 hours in cup.) Temps are fine. (according to book, various sites, etc.) Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm worried about the little guy.

Nanci
11-08-2012, 12:12 PM
It wouldn't hurt to try feeding him in his viv, overnight. If he refuses that, though, I'd go back to the deli cup. I would cover the deli cup directly, not put it in a covered tank- the idea is so he can't see out and spend all his time trying to escape, or getting distracted by things.

leswamp
11-08-2012, 05:51 PM
ok, I'll try that thanks!

leswamp
11-08-2012, 05:51 PM
PS- I really do appreciate your responses.

leswamp
11-08-2012, 06:21 PM
It's probably been about 10-12 days since he's eaten. In an adult specimen I wouldn't be this worried but this little guy has me pretty concerned.

screamindemon17
11-09-2012, 12:26 AM
I have been cutting the pinkies in half afer boiling them let cool for about 2 or 3 minutes ... Nanci has helped me through my non feeders and all are eatting great all aluve and well by the way thanks again nanci pugsly and the many others

leswamp
11-09-2012, 12:37 AM
I have been cutting the pinkies in half afer boiling them let cool for about 2 or 3 minutes ... Nanci has helped me through my non feeders and all are eatting great all aluve and well by the way thanks again nanci pugsly and the many others

I wished I lived closer to a breeder but the nearest one seems to be about 6 hours away. (!) It's been at least 10 days since this baby ate. I'm wondering at what point I have to try assist feeding. God knows, I don't want to. :(

Nanci
11-09-2012, 05:27 AM
To give you perspective, I don't feed hatchlings when they are blue. So that means they skip one meal, for an interval of ten days, and very infrequently skip two meals, for an interval of 15 days. They do just fine. You have time to solve the mystery of how and what your baby wants to eat.

leswamp
11-09-2012, 01:07 PM
At what point do things get dire? I've heard of snakes this young taking 2 months to eat but that sounds extreme to me.

leswamp
11-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Good news! I found someone experienced with non feeders and he's adopted the snake from me. (He used to breed them.) I'm going to miss the snake terribly but this guy has the experience that I don't and even though it was painful to give the snake up, his health and well being means more to me. I'm just relieved he's with someone better equipped than I am.

Now I only have to worry about an adult rescue corn but he's huge and doing fine. (His name's Wire.) I'm going to keep the pic of Jayne as my icon because I miss him. Malik will let me know when the little guy eats and how he's doing. I'll pass it along to you guys when I find out. Thanks for all the help! (And I'm sticking around the board because of Wire.) <3

epicdoom
11-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Good you found some local help. I would try and be a part of what that guy is doing as much as possible there is no better experience then first hand. It can only help you later on, with similar situations.

leswamp
11-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Good you found some local help. I would try and be a part of what that guy is doing as much as possible there is no better experience then first hand. It can only help you later on, with similar situations.

When the gasoline shortage in our area ends, I'd love to be. Though I hope Jayne is eating better by then! :)