PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Snake overheated but is still alive!

HELP! Snake overheated but is still alive!

celticrose1388
04-21-2012, 11:56 PM
Hey,

My snake overheated but is still alive at this point. Is there anything I can do to help her at this point?

I came home today to a broken thermostat. I've made a habit of putting my hand on the bottom of my aquarium whenever I take out my little girl Joanna just to make sure things are ok. Today upon arrival home my snake was not moving and had very very shallow and spread apart breaths. When I put my hand in the aquarium I could feel the heat! The thermostat read 56 but it had to have been over 100! I unplugged everything and put the tank in the fridge to drop the temp (I know it sounds disgusting, but I had to do something!!) Using an older thermometer I had lying around the house I brought the temp down to 72 degrees. After about an hour her breathing picked up and she would make very small movements. After about 6 hours she has moved around a little bit but still seems very weak. I'm hoping that she makes it through the night.

If she does make it through the night, is there anything else that I could do to help her? She is about 6 months old, and though I have only had her for 3 months she is my baby and I don't want to lose her!!

Iguanagirl8662
04-22-2012, 12:15 AM
I would try soaking her in shallow water for a little bit. She is probably dehydrated. Other then that I don't think there is much you can do but wait and see if she pulls through.

Charlotte
04-22-2012, 04:09 PM
How is she doing?

sarah08
05-12-2012, 06:08 PM
hi how is ur little snake?