PDA

View Full Version : just adopted an underfed corn

just adopted an underfed corn

dzogh
04-24-2012, 06:49 PM
I just adopted a corn from a young adult who could no longer afford to feed him. He was not at home when I picked him up and his mother did not know how old the snake was only that they had him for years. She did know that he had not been fed in a pretty long time. I brought him home and fed him that night. I have a young corn that I feed pinkies, so I gave the new guy two pinkies. He ate them immediately and his stomach was back to normal the next day. I waited 5 days and fed him 3 pinkies, again his stomach was back to normal the next day. He's only 30" long and not much bigger around than my 6 month old corn. Should I keep feeding him every 5 days to get him back to a healthy state or should I slow it down? I He also had a clean shed over the weekend if that makes a difference.

starsevol
04-24-2012, 06:53 PM
If it were me, I think I would feed small meals like that every 5 days, just like you are doing. At least until he's a bit bigger.

But I do have a huge problem with your post............

Where the heck are the pictures?????????? :)

dzogh
04-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Sorry about the lack of pictures. He also was not handled before, he's very aggressive and he's tearing my hands to pieces. I guess I need to wear gloves until he gets used to being handled.

Nanci
04-24-2012, 08:53 PM
He can't hurt you...It should only take a few times of gentle handling to tame him. Try sitting and watching a 30-60 minute TV show while holding him. Any idea how much he weighs? At any rate, I feed every five days until a snake moves from weanlings to small adults, at about 180 to 200 grams.

dzogh
04-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Thanks Nanci, I know he can't "Hurt" me but he has my hands cut up pretty good from lurching and dragging his teeth back across my hand. He's good at drawing blood. No idea how much he/she weighs. Once he calms down a bit I can put him on a kitchen scales. Just from handling him I'm guessing not much over a pound or two.

Shiari
04-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Even a pound or two is *extremely* unlikely. The largest of my females does not even hit 500 grams... which is just around the 1 pound mark.

My biggest snake, Ratbait, at 6 1/2 feet long is about 3 pounds in weight.

Lennycorn
04-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Good advice your getting here.

I can't wait to see pictures!!

dzogh
04-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Yes, I was way off on the weight. I just put him on a kitchen scales and it showed him weighing in at 4ounces. Of course he was squirming like crazy but it should be pretty close.

Wyldrose
04-25-2012, 09:51 AM
4ounces =113grams

Sounds like he is in good hands now! It won't take him long to settle down and get use to you.