PDA

View Full Version : Time to put down?

Time to put down?

michaelkaybecker
04-24-2012, 08:51 PM
I have a cornsnake that is about 6 years old. when he was younger he broke his back, i have no clue how. I spend hundreds getting him up to health they actually casted him and we gave him time to recover but he still lost about 70 percent of his feeling below the break. he lived for a few years now with no problems other then mobility but now it seems he cant go to the bathroom and he forms those egg looking things from not being able to go. Whats your guys' opinions?

Nanci
04-24-2012, 08:55 PM
I agree- if the snake can no longer eliminate without help, it's time to put him out of his "suffering." If that is what you want to do, and you are sure it is a permanent condition.

Jasonx
04-24-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with Nanci ^ if you think it's what is best, it is your animal, and if you feel it is suffering that bad, I myself would if I were in this situation

bitsy
04-25-2012, 04:14 AM
It's certainly worth another vet check but do be prepared for the worst. It sounds like something has shifted in his spine and impacted his spinal cord. If he can't poop for himself then I think a slow death is inevitable. Even if you can help him manually, the constant "backing up" is bound to affect his kidneys.

Try to look at it this way - he's had several years' more life than he would have had, with people who obviously care about him very much.

Wishing you the very best.

michaelkaybecker
04-25-2012, 07:09 PM
it sucks seeing something you've cared about coming to an end but all living things have to die. I just really wish i new how it happened to begin with. I was in the army at the time and went away for 10 days. When i came back i noticed the bump on his back so took him to the vet. Didn't make sense i had never dropped him before and nothing in his tank could have fallen on him. bummer