PDA

View Full Version : Non Feeding Male

Non Feeding Male

Velio
04-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Hello all, as a relatively inexperienced snake keeper, I defer to you for a few questions I have.

My 5 year old Phantom corn male refused to eat today. Since getting him about a month ago, I've successfully fed him 4 times, yet today he decided no go. He was raised on f/t so I know that's not an issue. What bugs me about it though is that after constricting and attempting to swallow for a moment, he decided not to and then began pushing the rat around the tank.

I was doing a little research and the best I could find was this is breeding behavior, and he is searching for a mate. The food refusal and pushing is new, but he is constantly cruising the tank and pushing at his screen and trying to get out. I am starting to think that he can smell my female charcoal, though she's not quite big enough to breed as of yet.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Lennycorn
04-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Could be a going off feed. Since he 5 and you have fed him wait two week then try again. A nice and warm f/t.

Good luck

Dakota314
04-25-2012, 09:42 PM
What Lenny said. It sounds like breeding season. Even if there isn't a female in the same room or even same house, a lot of snakes will stop eating for a few weeks- even a few months during breeding season. Just keep offering food at normal intervals. He will eat when he's ready. Make sure the food is nice and warm.

ZiggysMom
04-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Also, just to be sure, double check your temperatures are good.