PDA

View Full Version : Betadine soak?

Betadine soak?

HermesMom
04-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Since our corn first injured his vent, I've read all sorts of things regarding vents and saw that betadine soaks are often recommended/used for prolapses. Has anyone ever given one of these? If so, how much betadine to water? I'd hate to stain him. His healing process seems to really go back and forth when it comes to how it's looking and thought maybe I'd give this a try.

Buzzard
04-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Our vet recommended and gave us a diluted Nolvasan solution for similar issues. A quick Google search should give you the proper dilution factors - we use the generic solution (Chlorhexadine) and dilute 1oz to 1 gallon.

Cocoa3Ghost
04-27-2012, 04:39 PM
I have had two snake with scale rot that I used Betadine 10% for. What the Betadine does is it disinfects the area until the soar comes off with the shed. I was told to apply it one or two times a day to the infected area with a Q-tip as the bath could allow them to injest the water and also adding moisture to a soar or scale rot could make it worse. But if you would rather use the bathing method I was informed to put a dime sized drop to a 1/2 an inch of water in a tupperware big enough for them to "Swim" in. Best of luck if I left out any details feel free to ask.

Nanci
04-27-2012, 04:45 PM
I soaked a snake (as directed by a vet) in Betadine for a retained spectacle. He _loved_ drinking it, so after the first time I put him in plain water first! I made the Betadine bath the color of weak tea. He was not stained, and was not harmed by drinking it.

Cocoa3Ghost
04-27-2012, 05:08 PM
Oh Okay I was told to take precautions with that great information to know

HermesMom
04-27-2012, 05:19 PM
That's why I haven't done it, he's definitely one to drink when he goes for a soak. So maybe a plain ole water one first then into a betadine one or just apply it with a syringe {no needle of course} or with a Qtip. We've been putting the silverdine or whatever you call it creme {from the vet} on twice a day, but it just seems to be taking so long to heal completely that I'm willing to give something else a try and if it helps any. And I have betadine on hand 'cuz of the horses.

Cocoa3Ghost
04-27-2012, 05:34 PM
I"d say q-tip it didn't serve me wrong what I was expecting to take atleast two sheds to cure was gone in one shed worked wonders :) Hope it does the same for you :)

HermesMom
04-27-2012, 05:44 PM
I've been battling this vent injury for a good month or two. He's seen two different vets and had two sheds. It's improving, it just isn't fast enough for me I guess. The better of the two vets did tell me it may be something we tend until he's big enough for the vet's stuff to get in there and give him a good flushing out. It wasn't a prolapse, was definitely an injury... how the heck it happened I will never know.

Cocoa3Ghost
04-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Well its deffinately worth a shot it wont harm him. Just another reminder if your going to use the Q-tip method say if you apply it today, before you apply it again tomorrow take a damp papertowel and wipe of the excess before you apply more :)

Lennycorn
04-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Good thread!

proileri
05-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Allowing the injury to soak a bit sounds like a good idea, though, as it more thoroughly rinses the area. I suppose you could use a sprayer bottle to help to get enough solution on the injury area, or bathe him under supervision to keep him from drinking?

AggielandReptiles
05-06-2012, 07:45 AM
Few comments:

Chlorhexadine is far superior to a betadine or providone/iodine scrub as it has residual antimicrobial activity on the skin. That being said however, it also has the potential to be much more tissue-toxic. Always be sure to use a minimum of a 1:40 dilution with Chlorhex, and make sure that you use a formulation that doesn't contain alcohol.

Another advantage of chlorhex is the lack of need to "bathe" your animal. PVI (providone iodine, the most common betadine formulation) requires a contact time of 5 minutes in order to be most efficacious, whereas chlorhex is adequate in less than 90 seconds. A cotton tipped applicator (Q-tip) swabbed over the area 3-4 times with dilute chlorhex is sufficient for treatment, and allows the avoidance of a betadine bath.

We've been putting the silverdine or whatever you call it creme {from the vet} on twice a day, but it just seems to be taking so long to heal completely that I'm willing to give something else a try and if it helps any.

I assume you are referring to silver sulfadiazine. I've never heard of using this in reptiles before (they don't teach it here at A&M), so I did some quick research on VIN - Veterinary Information Network. Apparently it is a great adjuvant in treating superficial lesions, and is recommended to be used concurrently with chlorhexadine. Its a sulfonamide antibiotic whose spectrum is effective on many skin-contaminated opportunistic infections. It works well because it isn't absorbed systemically in any appreciable amount, so it retains excellent local activity. The one downside though is that it has been shown extensively to delay wound healing, as the OP noted.

Any questions, feel free to ask and I'd be happy to clear anything up!