PDA

View Full Version : 6 year old mama stopped eating

6 year old mama stopped eating

Capt O
05-06-2012, 11:29 PM
My 6-7 year old Hypo Motley corn snake ( 650 gram ) has given up on food. First she didn't feed for about 10 weeks...then she took a 20 gram mouse, but no 2nd one as usual. Then 2 weeks later she refused again and yesterday she didn't eat as well. Now I start to get worried. She still doesn't look very skinny, but she already had lost almost 100 gr !

I used to feed her 1-2 frozen mice ( approx. 50 gr ) every 2 weeks and have not changed that schedule since she refused to eat.

Question now, should I try to feed a live mouse ? Or perhaps a rat springer ?

Her behavior is totally normal. She runs around in her viv and it looks she is looking for food. She is definitely a she - had eggs before.

Will be grateful for any good advise.

cornsnakeforsale_com
05-07-2012, 12:00 AM
She gravid now? Gonna shed soon? Those other options might show you if she's refusing or just being picky for some reason. Temps and environment OK?

bitsy
05-07-2012, 03:58 AM
Even if she hasn't been mated, she might have formed a clutch of infertile eggs. The feed refusal and cruising suggests that she's looking for a place to lay. In your place, I'd put a laying box in with her and see what happens.

I have one which goes through the most ridiculous ovulations each year. She never actually lays anything but goes through the whole routine of going off her food and looking for a lay spot. Once I give her a laying box, she settles in it for a couple of weeks, then goes back to eating and behaving normally.

Susan
05-07-2012, 06:26 AM
Considering the time of year, producing a clutch of eggs is the most likely suspect for your girl to stop eating. I'm not happy with the fact that she's lost 100 grams. Have you tried to feel the tell-tale bump-bump-bump of eggs in her? I can't always feel eggs myself even when they are present, but sometimes I can. If you can, then you've basically confirmed the "diagnosis", but if not, a vet visit in a couple of weeks after she's been given a nest box shouldn't hurt.

Nanci
05-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Have you checked her viv carefully for a clutch of slugs?

I have a female who would always stop feeding in the spring. So for two years I would give her a lay box, she'd swell up with eggs, stop eating, hang out in the lay box, never lay, reabsorb the eggs, shed, and start feeding again.

I bred her last year. This year, she was not bred. I noticed her refusing food, and thought that was normal for her, but neglected to give her a lay box for some reason. So she refused for about two months. Then, while getting her out for feeding after the last shed I discovered a clutch of slugs hidden away. (Now I feel bad!!)

Capt O
05-07-2012, 10:04 PM
She gravid now? Gonna shed soon? Those other options might show you if she's refusing or just being picky for some reason. Temps and environment OK?

Thks for your reply. Temps in the viv are a bit on the high side ( about 28-30 during the day and not much cooler during the night ) as we have the hot season. However, my other 4 corn snakes feed very normal and they have the same conditions.

Capt O
05-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Even if she hasn't been mated, she might have formed a clutch of infertile eggs. The feed refusal and cruising suggests that she's looking for a place to lay. In your place, I'd put a laying box in with her and see what happens.

I have one which goes through the most ridiculous ovulations each year. She never actually lays anything but goes through the whole routine of going off her food and looking for a lay spot. Once I give her a laying box, she settles in it for a couple of weeks, then goes back to eating and behaving normally.

I already have a laying box in the viv. I also checked for eggs in the viv...nothing. But I agree this could be a reason for food refusal. But it is funny that she took one mouse 4 weeks ago after 1 months of not feeding and now she stopped again since 4 weeks.

Capt O
05-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Considering the time of year, producing a clutch of eggs is the most likely suspect for your girl to stop eating. I'm not happy with the fact that she's lost 100 grams. Have you tried to feel the tell-tale bump-bump-bump of eggs in her? I can't always feel eggs myself even when they are present, but sometimes I can. If you can, then you've basically confirmed the "diagnosis", but if not, a vet visit in a couple of weeks after she's been given a nest box shouldn't hurt.

No I couldn't feel any eggs. She had a nest box all the time. Do you think I should try a springer rat or live feed ? In the last 3 months she has eaten only one mouse ( 20 gr ). Sorry, she lost about 75 gr in that time. She was never a keen eater...

Capt O
05-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Have you checked her viv carefully for a clutch of slugs?

I have a female who would always stop feeding in the spring. So for two years I would give her a lay box, she'd swell up with eggs, stop eating, hang out in the lay box, never lay, reabsorb the eggs, shed, and start feeding again.

I bred her last year. This year, she was not bred. I noticed her refusing food, and thought that was normal for her, but neglected to give her a lay box for some reason. So she refused for about two months. Then, while getting her out for feeding after the last shed I discovered a clutch of slugs hidden away. (Now I feel bad!!)

I have checked the viv....no clutch of slugs. She still looks very strong and I hope everything will be fine soon. Perhaps it is the hot weather which is very extreme this year.

It is great to get so much support in this forum ! I'd like to thank everyone who tries to help.