PDA

View Full Version : Possible reptile bark ingestion?

Possible reptile bark ingestion?

jessicalullaby
05-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Hey so I just got my first corn snake a few weeks ago. I fed him on Saturday and left him alone until Tuesday so he wouldn't regurgitate and finally took him out for a bit today and he seemed to do fine. A few hours after I had him out I noticed him shaking around and what looked like an attempt to vomit- I could see a dark spot in his throat but he swallowed it down before I could get a clear look. Now I'm wondering if maybe he swallowed a piece of bark on random or if it's possible for snakes to swallow back down a regurge? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

AggielandReptiles
05-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Both are possibilities. Most reputable brands of reptile bark are natural enough to be easily digestible. In the wild snakes occasionally eat things they aren't supposed to all the time.

Either bark or regurg are both possibilities. Few questions: How old is your corn? What did you feed? Have you fed him before or was this the first time?

jessicalullaby
05-10-2012, 06:47 AM
He's about 3 months old and this was my first time feeding him, just a small pinky mouse. He did regurgitate the day after I got him, several weeks ago, but I just assumed that was stress from the moving and new tank.

Dakota314
05-10-2012, 05:47 PM
I'm not sure if those are possibilities, as I've never heard of it happeneing, but it very well could be. When a snake ingests substrate, it can block their digestive track and cause many issues. It is best to either feed in a seperate container, or put the mouse on a paper plate in the viv so they don't ingest any substrate. Also, I would read this sticky about regurges : http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342
Good luck!

AggielandReptiles
05-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Defnitely sounds like regurg is likely in this case, with his history. A small pinky is the perfect size meal for a young corn. I'd suggest giving him a week or so with no interaction at all. Moving to a new place can be quite stressful on a young corn. After a week, take him out and like Dakota suggested, always feed in a separate container. Once he's done eating (wait about 15 minutes or so) move him back to his original cage, and leave him alone for another week. Then you can try to get him on a more "normal" feeding schedule. I like to feed hatchlings every 5 days or so, but there are many opinions over what is appropriate when it comes to feeding frequency.

AggielandReptiles
05-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Other things besides a new home can "stress" your snake into regurging as well. Make sure he has adequate heat, and a heat gradient as well. I like to keep day time temps around 80, with a hot spot in the cage in the 85-90 range. Most people agree that under-tank heating, or "belly heat" helps aid in digestion. Make sure your snake has adequate hides, and free access to fresh water. If after this feeding trial he is still regurging, or if you think he might have injested bark after all, please post back on here and keep us updated! I'd be happy to help in any way possible.

jessicalullaby
05-10-2012, 06:04 PM
I know I've definitely got the temperature gradient down and he has plenty of fresh water so for now I'm assuming he's still just stressed out and I'll take your advice about feeding. He seems to be doing okay today so I'll just monitor him closely and let you guys know. Thanks for the help!

AggielandReptiles
05-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Great! Sounds like you've done your homework :-)

Keep us updated!