PDA

View Full Version : TEENY Tiny Bug seen in cage

TEENY Tiny Bug seen in cage

Lindseylollygag
05-10-2012, 04:32 PM
I just saw a very very small bug in my snow's cage. The only way I can think of to describe the size is about the size of a sugar sprinkle. Not the rainbow skinny kind, teeeeny little kind. It was just timing that I happened to see it, by my snake, coming from under my reptile magnetic den rock. From what i've researched, it doesn't seem to be a mite. Should I be worried? I will be changing the substrate and scrubbing everything in the cage tomorrow, it's due for a cleaning anyways. I know with a screen top obviously bugs can get in every once in a while and sometimes can't be helped. I fed her last thursday and she's been hiding a lot in her middle temp hide lately, even at night when she's usually active and I fed her today (thursday) and she went right back to her middle temp hide, not to the hot side. Hope everything will be alright!

toxiclight
05-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Last summer, we found a load of eensy little insects in our one snake's viv...mostly on the half-log hide that we'd bought from one of the chain pet stores. We promptly threw the hide away and thoroughly cleaned her tank, as well as the adjacent tanks...just in case.

Haven't seen any more, and they definitely weren't mites (nothing on any of the snakes). I'm still not entirely sure where they came from, but a good cleaning seemed to take care of the problem. (ours wasn't in a screen-top tank at the time, but rather a plastic Sterilite bin...but there were loads of air holes in the sides)

AggielandReptiles
05-10-2012, 06:01 PM
If you can catch one, or take a pic please post it on here so we can see!

Also, like previously suggested, check all organic material in the cage for the source, and otherwise try to clean the cage this weekend really well. Let us know if the bugs continue!

Lindseylollygag
05-12-2012, 02:39 PM
will do! thanks everyone :)

Wyldrose
05-12-2012, 06:09 PM
What color was it? If it's white it's possible that it's a spring tail or a wood mite. If it was black it could be a snake mite.

cornsnakeforsale_com
05-12-2012, 08:48 PM
I've seen those as well I think, very tiny and beige color perhaps?