PDA

View Full Version : had a regurge. Question about next feed.

had a regurge. Question about next feed.

foghat
05-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Hi All,

Ash (46 grams) had a regurge last week. I have only had her for a short time, but she has eaten successfully for me 3 times. About the same size fuzzy each time.

Was fed on fuzzy on Tuesday (15th). Found the regurge on Thursday the 17th. Probably happened Wednesday night.

I've read the regurge procedures and have some nutribac on order. Thing is, I doubt the nutribac will make it to me by 10 days after the regurge - which would put me at this Sunday.

Am I better off waiting for the nutribac (hopefully it comes sometime next week), or feeding a slit pinky on Sunday and using the nutribac for the following feed or 2.

Also, not sure why I had the regurge. Temps are fine, previous 3 feeds went fine. Maybe this fuzzy was a bit bigger than the others. didn't weight the food, so I don't know. Hoping it was just a fluke.

and, I usually feed out of viv. I know should not handle her for about a month, so should I feed in cage? Or is handling to move to feed container fine?

Thanks.

Nanci
05-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Is it possible she is going blue? Nearly every regurge I have experienced can be traced to feeding in, before or after blue.

I would take her back to a big pink. I would slit the pink on all three sides and the head. Go ahead and feed without the Nutribac, but start powdering the food in it as soon as you get it. If you can trace this regurge to feeding when the snake is blue, I would avoid that if possible in the future.

I wouldn't handle her till her next feed, but I see no reason to not handle if she keeps that down okay. You might want to go to waiting 72 hours for digestion just to be safe.

Nanci
05-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Oh and I would use Nutribac for the next six months.

foghat
05-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Nanci,

Thanks for the info. I don't think she was blue. At least not obviously blue when I fed her last. Like I say, happened a little over a week ago and as of now, there is no skin. Mind you in the month or so I've had her, there has been no shed. So probably getting to be due soon.

Would you recommend a single pink for the next two feedings (as per faq). Or maybe a pink on sunday and double pinks 8 or so days later and then a fuzzy after that? Assuming everything gets kept down, of course.

Thanks.

foghat
05-24-2012, 05:58 PM
and to be clear about the handling. I assume I should be fine to take her our for feeding?

Of course I have this nifty reptile food dish that I haven't put to use yet if feeding in viv is preferred.

Nanci
05-24-2012, 06:34 PM
Has she been active since the regurge? (If not, blue?)

I would feed a pink after the waiting period, then wait five days, then 1.5 pinks, then 1.5 pinks, then double pinks, peach fuzzy, small fuzzy. At five day intervals, all super-slit, all with nutribac, once you get it.

Nanci
05-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Yes, it's fine to handle her for feeding. And I have NEVER had a snake regurge from the amount of handling it takes to return the snake to its bin after feeding.

foghat
05-24-2012, 08:36 PM
after the feeding i put the container in the viv and let her get out on her own. Was thinking more from maybe a stress situation by picking her up to put in container.

She is as active as she usually is when I am around - which, at this point, is to stick her head out for a look and then go back into hiding until no one is around.

foghat
05-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Well, the nutribac actually arrived today. Good stuff.

Any tips on what to use to brush the nutribac on? Maybe just carefully sprinkle it on so as to not waste much.

Should I be putting some nutribac in the water?

Nanci
05-25-2012, 06:41 PM
If you put Nutribac in the water, you need to change the water every day.

I generally do not do that step, although it is often recommended.

I remove the hot wet mouse from the thawing water, rub it dry on paper towels, slit with scissors, and then roll generously in NB that has been tapped out onto the paper towel in a small mound- maybe a quarter teaspoon?

You _may_ (most likely) will have to rinse the snake under room temp running water to get the NB off before putting her away. Snakes hate this for about the first two or three times, then they could not care less.

Don't worry about conserving the NB- it lasts a LONG time.

foghat
05-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Well, I just fed Ash one pinkie, slit with nutribac. She took it no problem and managed to not get any on herself. Bonus.

While I was rooting around looking for past droppings, I did find shed skin underneath the shavings. Sneaky. Both times our other corn has shed, she has done it on top of the shavings.

So, while I am not sure exactly when the shed occurred, I am hoping this was the reason for the regurge.

Nanci
05-28-2012, 08:50 AM
That is the most likely explanation.