PDA

View Full Version : Not feeding during breeding season - underweight?

Not feeding during breeding season - underweight?

xStaticSnow
05-28-2012, 05:28 PM
My adult male snow corn is clearly in search for a female corn (which I do not have). He's been out cruising his tank pretty much non-stop for the past 2 weeks and he hasn't eaten in a month. He's looking to be losing quite a bit of weight (I don't have a scale because I don't breed and usually don't need one) but I'm unsure of my abilities to judge whether his weight is good, bad, or worrisome. You can see the line of his spine pretty much all the time, whether he's moving or relaxed. It doesn't stick out too much but it clearly is pronounced. It would be helpful if someone with a little more experience than I have would take a look. Thanks!

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1269&pictureid=11945

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1269&pictureid=11944

Also I thought I might as well throw this in. I have an adult male rosy boa who's a bit of a picky eater and has been on and off feed for a while. I think his weight is OK but he also has some loose skin around his head and I was wondering if anyone knew more about rosy boas than I do?

He also drank for quite a while when I put in new water today. After he drank he actually put his head and the top third of his body into the bowl which seems worrisome since rosy boas are so sensitive to moisture right? Could he be dehydrated or is this normal? Thanks!

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1344&pictureid=11946

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1344&pictureid=11947

xStaticSnow
05-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Also I might add the corn snake seems to have some dry/irritated/flaky scales in some areas. I'm thinking this might be a result of his constant activity in the viv. He has several "logs" and a plastic petstore cave hide in there with him. Should I remove anything to reduce the amount of rubbing and friction he's experiencing?

Zombiegirl
05-28-2012, 05:42 PM
It's been so long since I've had an adult snake that I'm hesitant to offer any opinions/advice, hopefully someone will come along and chime in soon.

I DID want to say I love Missoula :) (originally from Hamilton)

xStaticSnow
05-28-2012, 05:45 PM
No worries! That's great! I love Missoula too (: haha. I've also spent quite a lot of time in Hamilton on my way to see relatives in Kalispell. It's always cool to come across people from Montana on here!

Tavia
05-28-2012, 07:09 PM
The corn looks a little worrisome to me but I don't really have any suggestions for you, sorry. Can just say that my male corn, Vash also went on a feeding strike this spring, then a month long AWOL vacation before being found. He just a few days ago broke that fast, which lasted 140 days. He lost a good bit of weight at the beginning of it but for the last month or so of the fast seemed to level out and only lost a few more grams.

As to the Rosy, his weight looks good from the pictures. The head looks normal to me. Do you leave water in all of the time? Some care sheets say to only offer water once a week, which might be necessary in really humid places but isn't in Idaho and most likely not in Montana. Their sensitivity to moisture is somewhat overstated, IMO. My ambient humidity is usually around 10% to 30% and so I leave water in at all times. My male likes to soak just before and after a shed and drinks fairly often, at least several times a week. My female is more skittish and I almost never catch her doing anything.

SnakeAround
05-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Your snake looks fine! That ridge is not a protruding spine from being too thin, those are muscles (I was told over here). Small patches of flake/dry skins on a snake that is overly active from hormones, are very common, it is just what you think it is. It will disappear with the next shed!

xStaticSnow
05-28-2012, 08:16 PM
I leave water in for the Rosy all the time, but only about a cm. I've only ever seen him drink after I refill the bowl with fresh water though so I think he probably doesn't touch the stake water if he can help it.

And thanks for the info on my corn! I am now hoping he just really has good muscle tone since I don't know why else an otherwise healthy snake on a one month strike would deteriorate to the point where bones were showing. Hopefully he'll start eating again soon, he's usually a great feeder! Poor boy wants to find a female so badly though! Haha

Zombiegirl
05-28-2012, 09:20 PM
maybe you should find him one :D

Lennycorn
05-28-2012, 09:31 PM
My snow stripe has gone 7 weeks now with out food. I'm not worry tho. Lenny when over 3 months.

AliCat37
05-28-2012, 11:01 PM
I think that the corn looks great.. indented spines are a sign of good muscle tone.!
When Owl decided he wanted a girlfriend this year, he actually rubbed the top scale of his head off >.> It looked a little better after a shed, but it'll take another one or two to look normal again.

Wish I could help with the boa, but I'm not experienced with them! Looks good from what I don't know :p

xStaticSnow
05-29-2012, 02:46 AM
If I had the room for a female corn and some babies it would already be done! Haha. I want to have my very own little pippies. But alas I don't have the space, time, money, or stability for any more snakes sadly.

Thanks all! I'll let Ziggy know how handsome he is with his good muscle tone and all! Hopefully that will be what it takes to convince him to take a meal. I've heard and read a lot about snakes rubbing and injuring their scales during breeding season so I'm not too worried about the flaky skin. I'm sure it'll be gone by next shed.

Thanks again!