PDA

View Full Version : Head scales lifting up!

Head scales lifting up!

NickP961
06-12-2012, 10:58 AM
I noticed my one corn had these scales that seemed to be lifting off his head. I believe it is from rubbing on the top of the screen as he is looking for a mate. He is active nearly all hours of the night and day and is always trying to get out of the screen on top. Here are some pics, and let me know what you think I should do. Is a vet visit in order? I am thinking I need to get a cage that doesn't have screen top lids, but we will see. I also have questions about this same male which I will post in this thread after these pics are posted. Thanks in advance!
This is his cage currently.

NickP961
06-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Now, this is what I am really, really worried about. I think this might be scale rot. I feel like such a rotten owner right now. Vet visit in order for this too? His humidity in his cage is always between 40% and 60%. Warm side has a hot spot of around 85 degrees and cool side is 76 degrees or so. He is in a 55 gallon tank with a UTH connected to a thermostat. Please just tell me this isn't scale rot. I am SO nervous now. I have a picture of his last shed and the scales look much better now than before his shed. Thoughts please? Thank you! These pictures were cropped and zoomed in so you could see the spots easier.

NickP961
06-12-2012, 07:35 PM
NO comments yet? Come on peeps, I need opinions!

AliCat37
06-12-2012, 07:42 PM
I don't think that either of those things are things to be concerned about TBH.
The head scales will be okay, Owl did that this year too while looking for a girlfriend. The scales on his belly just seem to be broken and chipped, just like the head scales. For the scales on the belly, you can put on some neosporin, just make sure it's the kind withOUT painkillers. It'll take a shed or two to get back to normal, but should be fine.

NickP961
06-12-2012, 07:45 PM
I don't think that either of those things are things to be concerned about TBH.
The head scales will be okay, Owl did that this year too while looking for a girlfriend. The scales on his belly just seem to be broken and chipped, just like the head scales. For the scales on the belly, you can put on some neosporin, just make sure it's the kind withOUT painkillers. It'll take a shed or two to get back to normal, but should be fine.

Okay, good. Thank you for the response! Should I get a different cage for him without a screen lid? What did you do for Owl, if anything?

AliCat37
06-12-2012, 07:58 PM
I think it should be fine to leave him in there as long as you don't mind him rubbing his nose once in a while! I didn't do anything for Owl when he rubbed his head scale off. He shed and it looks much better now, still not quite perfect but what can ya do? lol
I did get him a girlfriend though xD

NickP961
06-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks again Alicat37. Now, just to update, he is going into his blue phase now.(Belly is pink and turning bluish) I will update with pictures once he sheds.

bitsy
06-15-2012, 02:06 PM
It doesn't look like scale rot to me either. When I experienced it with one of mine, the leading edges of the belly scales went brown and ragged - much worse than your photos. See what it looks like after the next shed. It could just be a little mild scuffing that the shed sorts out.

NickP961
06-15-2012, 02:08 PM
It doesn't look like scale rot to me either. When I experienced it with one of mine, the leading edges of the belly scales went brown and ragged - much worse than your photos. See what it looks like after the next shed. It could just be a little mild scuffing that the shed sorts out.

Okay, good! And thank you!!!

Nanci
06-15-2012, 02:17 PM
NO comments yet? Come on peeps, I need opinions!

I looked at this when you posted, and my thoughts were, since it improved after the shed, I'd like to see it after one more shed, to see if it continued to improve. If it was my snake, I would be curious, and keeping an eye on it, but not really even worried at all.

I'm sorry I didn't put my thoughts down immediately.

NickP961
06-20-2012, 04:33 PM
I looked at this when you posted, and my thoughts were, since it improved after the shed, I'd like to see it after one more shed, to see if it continued to improve. If it was my snake, I would be curious, and keeping an eye on it, but not really even worried at all.

I'm sorry I didn't put my thoughts down immediately.

It's fine Nanci!! :) I just wanted someone to either calm me or give me the truth. Thanks!

Oreo shed this morning..........and.....his head scales that were lifting up are all better now :) Also, his ventral scales, well, are MUCH better. Honestly, it is hard for me to spot where these messed up scales used to be. He is one perdy thing now!;) I tried to take pictures, but you can't even tell those scales are weird in the pictures. It is basically all healed, just a little rough edges here and there, but otherwise, he's great!
Thank you all for the confidence booster you gave me and telling me what you thought! :D