PDA

View Full Version : How long on pinkies?

How long on pinkies?

Rinpu
06-02-2004, 10:01 PM
My baby corn is eating great, and growing like a weed. But I'm not sure when exactly I should move him up from pinkies to fuzzies. Right now, a pinky makes only a small bulge in his belly.

Would it be okay to feed him multiple pinkies instead of one fuzzy? I still have a ton of pinkies left (I hate the way they make you buy a hundred at a time). I've heard that reptiles can have bone problems if they don't eat the right age prey...could I add a calcium supplement to the pinkies? I have a human calcium supplement that I take every day; would a tiny crumb of that work?

slithering
06-02-2004, 10:59 PM
you can take what i did 4 mine and apply it 2 your regimen but if others get on here 2 reply they tend to frown on my feeding regimen but my snake is healthy and growing . i fed MR. LEE pinkies and usually 2 at a time then it got to be three then four . after it got to be a hassle to pick them out at the pet store and also he was swallowing them whole no killing . i knew that i had 2 move up in size. so i started feeding him fuzzies and gerbies. it got 2 where i had 2 give him 2-3 of those at a time. now im up to those little white mice my kids think are so adorable.he took 1 down last friday took him bout 10 min to kill and swallow it . now hes in his molting phase. 4 th nolt since march 28th. and hes healthy as any snake out there. but some would call this type of feeding a powerfeed. if he kills it and doesnt eat it you can always freeze it.:cheers:

MegF.
06-03-2004, 02:08 PM
When my snake was eating a pinky and looking for more within a day, I moved her up in size. Actually, she was eating fuzzies by the time I got her. She was about 18 inches long. When she got up to two fuzzies, and was looking for more within a day or two, I went up in size. You could probably go to a couple of pinkys and if the snake is easily eating those and seems to be actively looking for food rather quickly after feeding, I would move up to fuzzies. You could always save those pinkys for your next snake :)

Arson
06-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Curious question...what exactly does "looking for more food" look like? What behavior should I look for?

J_Daniels
06-03-2004, 05:40 PM
Arson,

You'll start to learn Mika's habits. Usually, about 2-3 days after feeding, your snake will leave you a nice little gift in the Viv. A couple days after that you'll probably notice a lot of activity in the tank, especially at night. This is what they mean. Since snakes (it's assumed) don't have the mental capacity for fun or exercise, they must be hunting!

Jason

Arson
06-03-2004, 06:42 PM
Hmm, she HAS been snooping at night alot lately, but I don't think she's pooped yet. Also, with my Snow I SWEAR I can see how far along the mouse is in her digestive system. Today I held her up to the sunlight and I could see a noticable dark spot close to her vent.

Anybody?

J_Daniels
06-03-2004, 06:51 PM
Yup, be careful... that's a mess on you just waiting to happen.

Trust me.:eek:

slithering
06-05-2004, 12:16 AM
regarding what you said about your "snow corn" i have a ghost cornand when i first got him you could definately see his innards laying within his body. as hes gotten bigger and swells with his kill inside him you can see the organs as a black mass against his body . thats what attracted me 2 this snake. plus the fact it was relatively small when i got it unlike the big ones i have caught on jobsites .