PDA

View Full Version : Clicking Noises

Clicking Noises

hypnoctopus
06-23-2012, 12:24 AM
My newest little corn snake was making clicking noises tonight. He was also occasionally making a full-body puff (sort of like taking one deep breath and then letting it out suddenly). He was not yawning or sneezing or opening his mouth at all. He's not in shed currently and I haven't had him long enough to know when his next one will be.

He ate fine on Wednesday and is alert and active (struck at me tonight, too). He still clings to my hand and does not appear ill in any other way.

Do snakes ever make that clicking noise before a shed? Should I bump up his humidity in case it might be the beginning of a respiratory infection (I guess it would be good for a shed too) and how do I do that?

I don't know any reptile vets in my area, but if it comes down to it, I'm sure I can find one.

Thanks!

Lyion
06-23-2012, 12:50 AM
Could be RI. I have a room that sucks the humidity out of the room. Sprtzing doesn't work really. So, for shedding I made a humidity hide. I took a Tupperware box and drilled a hole on the lid large enough for my snake to leave and enter when they please. You can use moss or paper towels, but make the bottom material damp. Don't make it so that you can pour out water though, just so that you can feel that it is wet. Put it in and lead your snake inside. I usually put a towel over it once they go in so that they feel comfortable and safe.

Lyion
06-23-2012, 01:03 AM
I'd wait a bit though, a few weeks and if he doesn't clear, I would think about a vet.

bitsy
06-23-2012, 03:50 AM
Corns can make that clicking noise before a shed - also the huffing and puffing. Unless you're seeing more symptoms, in your place I'd assume that he's about to go into a shed for the moment. Just keep a careful eye out for additional trouble developing. A humid hide would help for both an RI or a shed, so that's a good way to go.

hypnoctopus
06-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Corns can make that clicking noise before a shed - also the huffing and puffing. Unless you're seeing more symptoms, in your place I'd assume that he's about to go into a shed for the moment. Just keep a careful eye out for additional trouble developing. A humid hide would help for both an RI or a shed, so that's a good way to go.

Thanks. Yes, I have put a humid hide in his tank and I also covered his lid (with a small space for fresh air flow) with a damp hand towel to keep the humidity in.

Hopefully it's a just a shed. :)

HeavenHell
06-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Do snakes ever make that clicking noise before a shed?
Yes, my graybands do it consistently before a shed.

Lyion
06-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Xia clicked before her shed. Its probably just that. No worries!

Dakota314
06-23-2012, 06:35 PM
Maybe he went into blue and you didn't notice it, and now he is cleared up and getting ready to shed? Hopefully that is what it is.

hypnoctopus
06-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Maybe he went into blue and you didn't notice it, and now he is cleared up and getting ready to shed? Hopefully that is what it is.

I don't think that can be the case, because I fed him (and saw him) on Wednesday and it was Friday that I noticed he was making clicking noises (he may have been making the noises already on Thursday, but since he was digesting, I didn't take him out). And he's also a dark morph, so it should be very easy to notice him being in shed. He still does not appear to be in blue today and he is still clicking.

Lyion
06-23-2012, 10:47 PM
It'd suck for blizzard owners to see if their snake is in the blue lol.

hypnoctopus
06-24-2012, 09:21 PM
He's in blue today. Thanks for alleviating my worries!

Lyion
06-24-2012, 11:43 PM
NP. By the way, did you burn the edges of the lid?They might be too sharp otherwise.

hypnoctopus
06-25-2012, 12:15 AM
NP. By the way, did you burn the edges of the lid?They might be too sharp otherwise.
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing but I used a container with smooth edges and just tilted it on his water dish so no sharp edges. :)

Lyion
06-25-2012, 03:16 PM
Ah. I was saying that if you drilled a hole in the lid then you have to burn the rim of the hole.