PDA

View Full Version : Ready for fuzzies?

Ready for fuzzies?

-blaine-
07-05-2012, 01:20 AM
My corn snake has eaten two pinkies a meal now for the last three times. I still have five left so she will have two meals, with two pinkies. After these last two meals, would she be ready for one fuzzy? I picked up a six pack of them today at Petco due to some urge, maybe wishful thinking!

She is about 20inches. Two pinkies leave a swollen belly, but no large bumps like they used too. She looks back to normal 36-48 hours after shes eaten and is climbing around like before.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

cornsnakeforsale_com
07-05-2012, 02:05 AM
Give her something that's between 1 and 1.5 times her thickest point. It should leave a lump or it's too small (unless it's multiple smaller items).

Lyion
07-05-2012, 03:00 AM
Pics and weight plz?

diamondlil
07-05-2012, 05:00 AM
It's normal to be worried over bumping up prey sizes, and working out the right size can be daunting. If you have a digital scale that can weigh in grams, try seeing if the 2 pinks are the same as 1 fuzzy. I know I used to obsessively sort my pinky/large pinky/fuzzy orders and bag them up accordingly, before it got easier to just size them up by eye because I had more idea of what size feed would fit into which size baby snake!

schnebbles
07-05-2012, 10:10 AM
check in the pk and find the smallest fuzzy. The fuzzies I had varied a lot. But ya, don't go over 1-1/2 of her thickest part of her body.

-blaine-
07-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Pics and weight plz?

I could post pictures, but i'm just a first time recreational snake owner. No scale.

Pugsley
07-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Blaine, do you have a digital kitchen scale? One of those will work just fine for weighing your snake.

JennaJ
07-05-2012, 04:48 PM
If you're familiar with the Munson Feeding Plan (you can find it easily in a search), you can use that to figure out how much to feed by weight. Keeping in mind that the girth of the food has to be appropriate, too-- no more than 1.5 times the snake's largest diameter. If you're weighing your snake, the Munson plan will tell you how big of a meal, in grams, is appropriate. Also, you can "mix and match" mouse sizes to get the right sized meal. Two "pinkies" not quite enough? Try one fuzzy and one pinky, for example. That's what I like to do, anyway.

The terms "pinky", "fuzzy", "hopper" etc. are a bit arbitrary :)

-blaine-
07-05-2012, 04:53 PM
If you're familiar with the Munson Feeding Plan (you can find it easily in a search), you can use that to figure out how much to feed by weight. Keeping in mind that the girth of the food has to be appropriate, too-- no more than 1.5 times the snake's largest diameter. If you're weighing your snake, the Munson plan will tell you how big of a meal, in grams, is appropriate. Also, you can "mix and match" mouse sizes to get the right sized meal. Two "pinkies" not quite enough? Try one fuzzy and one pinky, for example. That's what I like to do, anyway.

The terms "pinky", "fuzzy", "hopper" etc. are a bit arbitrary :)

Yea i have been "loosely" following those guidelines. I'd venture to guess that the Munson Plan is more of a rough idea of appropriate feedings, or atleast this is what i seem to find scattered across the web.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to give me advice, it will all be considered! I'll feed her two pinkies a couple more times and see if she's ready for a smaller fuzzy!