PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive feeder now not feeding?

Aggressive feeder now not feeding?

Lyion
07-08-2012, 05:16 PM
So, I've had my girl Xia for over a year. She was always a super aggressive feeder. One day, she refused to eat. I of course assumed that she was about to shed, which she was. After she shed, she ate once but without any aggression. She simply started chowing down on it, not even wrapping around it slightly. Today, she isn't interested. The only thing I change was that the mouse was in water longer.

She has started roaming the cage suddenly more and she is now two years old. Why has she lost interest? She had been sexed but could this she be a he? I had not recieved her from the original breeder, but the second said she was a sexed girl. I'm not sure how she was sexed, whether popped, probed or sight sexed. Should I get her probed? I plan on breeding her once she is of age, and I have done plenty of research.

Anyways, I won't hold her at all this next week and I'll try again after a week goes by.

Lyion
07-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Oh and it wasn't like she recoiled from the mouse like she does pre-shed. She acknowleged it as a finger! Her toungue flicked and everything. I guess I'm lucky I'm not feeding her live!

Nanci
07-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Is it possible she is ovulating? If you palpate her belly, can you feel egg bumps?? THat always makes my females stop feeding. It's a pretty short-lived feeding strike, if that is the case.

Lyion
07-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Alright. She is pretty big, so I'll feel.

Lyion
07-08-2012, 08:28 PM
I feel a tiny knot, but I'm not sure.

Nanci
07-08-2012, 08:51 PM
That doesn't sound like follicles. You'd feel a whole string.

Lyion
07-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Alright ty.

Lyion
07-10-2012, 09:05 AM
I'm getting more concerned. The snake I've had for nearly a year and a half seems like a different snake. Prior to this, I'd only ever seen her poke her head out of a hide further than an inch once, and that was to get water and rush back in. Now all of the suction cup plants which are near the top are knocked, and her usually even bedding is all over. I haven't seen her hiding since, and I never have seen her in the same place twice. I would usually be overjoyed by her opening up, if I didn't feel it was connected with the strike.

Nanci
07-10-2012, 10:08 AM
It sounds a bit like male springtime behaviour- it might not hurt to get her probed again! Are you positive her UTH has not malfunctioned? I think I might try a smaller, more tempting mouse next time, like a fuzzy or hopper, and see if that goes over better.

Lyion
07-10-2012, 10:22 AM
She has a nice lamp because my room is overly warm in general. Its stays around 75 on the cool side and 80 on the hot side. Alright, I'll try a smaller mouse and a probing is in order.

Lyion
07-11-2012, 02:26 AM
Oh my god. She just layed an egg. It looks fertile. Oh my god I'm freaking out so much. I didn't check which way was up or down, I don't know what to do. Please help me!

bitsy
07-11-2012, 04:45 AM
Get a laying box in with her as soon as possible. Having gone off her food, indicates that she didn't have room inside her for food. That points to her possibly having a full clutch inside. If she can't find somewhere suitable to lay, she risks holding onto the clutch and becoming eggbound.

The eggs aren't your main concern at the moment, but making sure the female doesn't get eggbound, is.

As in your other thread, an hour with a male of any age is enough to make a female produce eggs.

Nanci
07-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Oh my god. She just layed an egg. It looks fertile. !

Called it!!!

So- infertile eggs from virgin snakes can LOOK fertile. Even if you think they are not, or are sure they are not, she needs a laybox so she will settle down into it and feel comfortable laying the rest of the clutch. Often, a female will only lay one or two infertile eggs.

I didn't used to be able to palpate eggs, especially slugs, so don't feel badly about missing it. Or maybe that was the lump you felt!