PDA

View Full Version : Third shed in two months, is this normal?

Third shed in two months, is this normal?

legitimatehypnotist
07-14-2012, 04:04 PM
My Nyx has always been a fast grower but after I switched her to adult mice three months ago, it's almost as if she has a shed about a week after every meal! She's not overweight or anything, but she's definitely visibly growing like a weed.
Is this something I should be concerned about or should I just be glad she's growing so much??

HermesMom
07-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Hermes went through a period like that when I bumped his food up. Seemed he was always in blue.

Nanci
07-14-2012, 05:49 PM
I would say yes, it's unusual for a young adult snake to be shedding that often. I would expect something more along the lines of every 2-4 months.

legitimatehypnotist
07-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Ahhh, I've even spaced out her feedings to every 8 days to give her a break =/
She's a healthy weight for her length, I don't get it.

Any suggestions? Do you think this is unhealthy at all?

bitsy
07-15-2012, 04:28 AM
She's growing fast because she's eating a lot. One mine are on adult mice, they get fed one every 14-21 days. If you were feeding one adult mouse more often than every 8 days, then yep, that would induce a pretty rapid growth spurt. Even one every 8 days is quite a lot. I'd go for 10 day intervals max with adult mice unless recovering from laying or a period of fasting.

Growth in a sub-adult is good, but you need to make sure that it's slow and controlled, so that the snake doesn't end up overweight.

legitimatehypnotist
07-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Awesome, thank you. I was really starting to freak out. Her sheds have ALWAYS been regular, so regular, on fact, that I could predict them.
Now she's growing and growing!
10 days makes much more sense! Thanks, guys :)