PDA

View Full Version : Question about shedding

Question about shedding

unipt
07-20-2012, 01:30 PM
From what I've read, they don't eat during the shed period, right?

It's been a while since her last shed, today was feeding day, and as she didn't show any shedding signs I gave her food. I've figured if she didn't ate she was in shedding, if she did ate she wasn't.

So this is what I found after a couple of hours in her viv:

http://i.imgur.com/Qk2ov.jpg

Perfect shedding :D, the bottom one is the one from today. So yeah I'm a bit confused now. Does it depend on the corn if they eat during shedding or not? Also, is shedding like a static schedule or does it just happen anytime they will grow out of their scales?

snakehobbyist
07-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Well...my snow motley corn will eat before he sheds (granted...I can never tell when he sheds but it's about every 6 weeks like clockwork) and my bloodred sometimes will eat before she sheds, sometimes she won't. She's only shed twice for me (she's a new snake) and once she refused and once she accepted while blue. I guess it just depends on the snake. As for how often they shed, as babies they shed as often as you feed them. The more they grow, the more they shed.

bitsy
07-20-2012, 02:17 PM
^^Yup :)

Eating depends on the individual Corn. Some will eat during the shed cycle and be fine (most of mine are like this, occasionally shedding in the feeding tank!), some will refuse food (odd ones of mine do this) and others will eat but regurge (never had one of these).

Shedding doesn't have a set timetable. Hatchlings shed once every 4-6 weeks and this period gets longer as they get bigger. Shedding is related to how fast they grow, so they shed most often as babes. My adults shed roughly 3-4 times a year. Interestingly, they never stop shedding, no matter how old they get.

Pugsley
07-20-2012, 07:11 PM
I had one eat 2 days before shedding and another that was blue when it ate. It just depends on the snake. I figure if they eat, I'll let them.

obboi34
07-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Armand ate at the start of her shed, but I didn't feed her when she went blue to avoid complications.

EmbersMom
07-21-2012, 01:02 AM
We got a 4 mos. old snow corn last week and she must have been in blue and we did not know it. Her regular feed day came and she ate like a champ even though we only had her for 4 days. She was so friendly and curious, and 2 days after eating, she shed! So she was hungry and not very shy/reclusive during her blue! I would not knowingly feed a corn in blue, but if you do accidentally and they willingly accept the meal.....they probably know best! ;)