PDA

View Full Version : Corn snake moved to fuzzies!

Corn snake moved to fuzzies!

-blaine-
07-23-2012, 12:01 AM
So, i finally moved my corn to fuzzies after double pinkies for about four weeks.

Was curious, i know snakes grow at different rates but i have heard many people say that when they moved to fuzzies their snakes experienced a big growth spurt.

Is this true?

I have been feeding her a fuzzy every six days the last two feedings now!

snakehobbyist
07-23-2012, 12:28 AM
I've had something similar happen, but a little earlier. I was feeding my male corn 1 pinkie from September until middle of may then I switched to 2 pinkies until yesterday. Since May, he had only gained about 4g. But in last week ALONE, he's gained 4g. I think he's entering a growth spurt. Yesterday I switched him to peach fuzzies and so far, he's not regurged.

What's really funny is that my female is about a month older than him and she's already 46g. She was twice his size. However, I'm hopeful that he'll catch up to her in no time.

Perhaps your snake is already in a growth spurt. Snakes grow and mature at different rates. Mine was a late bloomer, but they are all different.

-blaine-
07-23-2012, 01:43 AM
I've had something similar happen, but a little earlier. I was feeding my male corn 1 pinkie from September until middle of may then I switched to 2 pinkies until yesterday. Since May, he had only gained about 4g. But in last week ALONE, he's gained 4g. I think he's entering a growth spurt. Yesterday I switched him to peach fuzzies and so far, he's not regurged.

What's really funny is that my female is about a month older than him and she's already 46g. She was twice his size. However, I'm hopeful that he'll catch up to her in no time.

Perhaps your snake is already in a growth spurt. Snakes grow and mature at different rates. Mine was a late bloomer, but they are all different.

I appreciate the input! First time snake owner, guess i'm being abit impatient with growth!:o

snakehobbyist
07-23-2012, 01:47 AM
I've been a snake owner since August, so I'm still fairy new myself! I was worried about my male until I noticed he was suddenly shooting up like a weed!

-blaine-
07-23-2012, 02:00 AM
I've been a snake owner since August, so I'm still fairy new myself! I was worried about my male until I noticed he was suddenly shooting up like a weed!

Haha understandable.

I bought my corn from PetCo so im still not sure on age/sex. Assuming its a female ( based on 50% probability ha ) but no guess on age.

She is about 20 inches, growing for sure.

Oh, i just noticed your in texas also, not too far away from me!

bitsy
07-23-2012, 04:09 AM
When we talk about growth spurts, we mean over months rather than a couple of weeks. Don't worry - it'll happen!

snakehobbyist
07-23-2012, 08:38 AM
I got my male from Petco too! He was a good find for me. He's my best eater and my most active snake. He's always the first one up and out of his hides. I can predict that around 3 or 4 in the afternoon, he'll be curled up by his water dish against the glass in prime traffic position. Silly boy.

As for age, I got mine when he was about 6 weeks old, sounds like yours is a bit older than that. As for whether its male or female, you can always have a vet probe it.

And yes! Arlington isn't too far away! You've got some great expos coming up soon! the big breeder expo is in about 4 weeks. I want to go so badly.

Pugsley
07-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Usually I have more fun at an expo when I'm there with someone. You've got someone to bounce ideas off of, oh and ah over things and to point out what you missed.

I hope you both end up at one at the same time! Makes it a lot more fun.

Blaine, congrats on moving up to the next size of feeder!

-blaine-
07-24-2012, 01:23 PM
I got my male from Petco too! He was a good find for me. He's my best eater and my most active snake. He's always the first one up and out of his hides. I can predict that around 3 or 4 in the afternoon, he'll be curled up by his water dish against the glass in prime traffic position. Silly boy.

As for age, I got mine when he was about 6 weeks old, sounds like yours is a bit older than that. As for whether its male or female, you can always have a vet probe it.

And yes! Arlington isn't too far away! You've got some great expos coming up soon! the big breeder expo is in about 4 weeks. I want to go so badly.

I was planning on going.

Always had a passion for reptiles but never really advanced it in anyway other then occasionally finding them in nature.

If anyone else from the community is going, be sure to let me know!

snakehobbyist
07-24-2012, 06:28 PM
My friend just confirmed! We'll be there on Sunday during the Expo weekend.