PDA

View Full Version : Bump on tail?

Bump on tail?

anerybree
07-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Hello, my 2.5 year old female corn snake has a small bump on her tail, basically directly above the vent. It feels hard, like bone, and I think that it's just her bone but I'm not sure. It doesn't move, and definitely doesn't feel like a tumor, we've had rats with tumors before. It doesn't seem to bother or inhibit her in any way, shape, or form. I'll upload pictures in a couple of hours.

Should I be worried, or take her to the vet? Thanks.

Migronoh
07-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Do you have any pictures?

anerybree
07-29-2012, 11:52 AM
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL1922/13144536/23761634/403515002.jpg

Here the picture. Thanks.

bitsy
07-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Given its position on the spine and the fact that you can discount a tumour from experience, I'd say it's a kink that's only become noticable as she's grown. Either that or she's had a slight injury which caused some sort of bone repair mechanism to kick in.

If you have it x-rayed by the vet, they should be able to at least tell you skeletal vs soft tissue. Sounds skeletal from your description though. If it *is*, then there's probably nothing you can do - and nothing that you need to do. If you have breeding plans they might have to be reviewed if it's possible that it could impede laying, but if she's able to move and poop, then I'd say she has a normal future ahead of her.

anerybree
07-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Okay, thank you Bitsy! She did escape about 6 months ago (my fault actually, I forgot to close her cage properly), and sustained some minor injuries from that (some scratches and a loss of skin to the tip of her tail). It might of came from the escape. She functions completely normal though, she is a very active snake who eats and poops just fine. I never had any plans to breed her, she is simply a pet and education snake!