PDA

View Full Version : swollen eye

swollen eye

MKirsch1025
07-23-2012, 07:46 PM
So first off, this is my green snake with the eye issue, he has a swollen eye, it came on fairly sudden, I thought he was going into a shed again when I noticed it discolored a couple days ago but today it is completely clouded over and bulging out twice its normal distance. What can I do to treat this? Causes? This is new to me, I've had him over a year with no health problems until now.

bitsy
07-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Head to the vet. The eye is most likely bulging because of a fluid build-up behind the eye-cap and it will need some kind of surgical intervention. I've had this in one of my Corns, but it had the problem from hatching (developmental issuse where the eyecap lacked a duct which allows excess fluid to drain off). If yours has the same problem, then something else could be blocking that duct. If the fluid inside the eye is cloudy (rather than the cloudiness being due to a stuck eye cap after an incomplete shed) then it's infected and potentilly fatal.

The cloudiness may also indicate a tumour, which would also cause bulging.

Either way, in my view anything around the eyes which is more than a simple unshed eyecap or mite problem, will need a vet as fast as possible. I'd ask for a photo, but from that description it's pretty clear that there won't be a home remedy.