PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Problem that the FAQ couldnt anwser.

Feeding Problem that the FAQ couldnt anwser.

BSLMichael
07-29-2012, 11:29 PM
So... I've had this snake for about 18-19 days now and I am having trouble getting the little guy to eat. I've checked the Temps and they seem okay... 85 on hot side and 73 on cool side.

So i tried feeding him the first time 6 days after I got him. He refused. I figured he may still be scared so I wated 2 days later. Tried agian. No luck. So I waited another 4 days and tried agian. Nada. Then I tried today.

I feed him in a little critter keeper he cant even fully stretch out in all the way.
This Time I put him in there with the pinkie already in the keeper and then quickly covered it up. I left him alone for a few hours then checked on him. Still didn't eat so I covered him back up and left him alone for another 2 hours. nothing still. So I tried braining the pinkie and stuck it back into the keeper with him and left it for another 3 hours and still no feeding.

I am alittle worried. Should I be just yet? How can I get him to eat?
Unfortunately I do not have access to any live pinkies :(.
Any suggestions would be much apperciated. I've tried lookin' through the forums but have had trouble finding what to do past braining.

Sorry if this is a often repeated question.

Weda737
07-30-2012, 03:05 AM
try leaving a pinkie overnight near the entrance to his hide box and absolutely leave him alone.

bitsy
07-30-2012, 03:23 AM
It looks like you still haven't tried all the tricks in the FAQ, so maybe another quick run-through would help.

My first tip would be to put him in a small container like a deli cup or butter/spread tub with air holes in it). Make the defrosted pinkie good and warm, and pop the two in the tub together last thing at night. Put the tub in his normal tank on the cool side and go to bed. Sometimes new arrivals need absolute dark and quiet before they're confident enough to eat. They're also more active in the wild during times or low or no light, so picking a time when he's most likely to be active should weight the odds in your favour.

Failing that, as per the FAQ you could try scenting the pinkie before offering it. I've had some luck with dipping the pinkie's head in the juice from a can of tuna (water or oil, not brine which is salty). It's not guaranteed, but it works often enough to give it a try. If you use the stuff in oil, be prepared for a slippery hatchling! Other people have used chicken broth. It seems to be about making the pinkie's smell more intense so that it's recognised as food (just my pet theory).

A more off-the-wall suggestion is to introduce a level of vibration. Some people have packed them into escape-proof containers and taken them for a 30 minute drive immediately before feeding or with the pinkie, others have put them on or next to a working drier or washer for half an hour. Nobody knows why this sometimes triggers them to eat, but it occasionally does.

I think leaving 4 days between attempts is a good idea. If you have a browse around this section there are more ideas as well.

Just to check - what are you using to measure the temperature, and is the 85 on the warm side floor surface or is it the warm side air temp?

BSLMichael
07-30-2012, 12:02 PM
I have a digital thermometer that is taped on the bottom of the tank other the substrate on both sides.

Ive also got a infared laser thing that i point at a surface and it reads it.

BSLMichael
07-30-2012, 12:03 PM
I have a digital thermometer that is taped on the bottom of the tank other the substrate on both sides.

Ive also got a infared laser thing that i point at a surface and it reads it.

other = under.

bitsy
07-30-2012, 01:57 PM
That sounds grand, although it's always kind of a shame when the temps are right, as that's the quickest potential fix for feeding problems! Sadly it looks like you have more detective work on your hands and you need to work through a few more tricks.

diamondlil
07-30-2012, 02:12 PM
If you add up the feeding attempts, that's quite a lot of disturbance, and trying too frequently can put off feeding. Personally I'd wait 6 days with no handling then pop in a live pink in a feeding tub overnight.

Joejr14
07-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Aw shucks, so much for the FAQ standing the test of time...

bitsy
07-31-2012, 03:43 AM
It so does Joe! It's just that desperation makes people try some weird and wonderful things.... Who'd have put "ride on a drier" in a snake feeding FAQ?!

Joejr14
07-31-2012, 04:34 PM
It so does Joe! It's just that desperation makes people try some weird and wonderful things.... Who'd have put "ride on a drier" in a snake feeding FAQ?!

Funny, I sent out countless 'non-feeder' freebies back in the day that would all of a sudden become fantastic feeders after a good plane ride jostled them around. Shrugs.