PDA

View Full Version : Sick snake?

Sick snake?

simcox
08-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Hi, we have I almost 4 foot corn snake. He was given to us a couple of weeks ago, along with two females. The male loves to sit in water he has been in the water for 2 straight days as far I as Know. He color has changed from orange to a weird salmon color. What is going on with that. We fed him on Friday of last week he ate just fine and pooped too.

Nanci
08-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Sometimes snakes like to soak in water if they've never had a bowl big enough to get into before, but other times it is a sign of mites. You should inspect the snake VERY thoroughly for mites, especially around the eyes and under the jaw.

bitsy
08-02-2012, 11:32 AM
The change of colour could mean that he's about to shed. They sometimes need higher humidity to help the process, which explains why he's sitting in the water. They go pale for a few days, then they go back to their normal colour, then they shed.

It would probably be healthier if he had a humid hide rather than sitting in the drinking water. That's just any cheap plastic tub with a lid, with a snake-sized hole cut in the top and half filled with something damp like sphagnum moss, vermiculite or even damp kitchen paper at a pinch.

AliCat37
08-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Also, in case he is sick, you do have separate caging for them all, correct?

Cohabbing is never a good idea in the first place, and if he is sick, then they all will be.

creamsicle83
08-04-2012, 09:54 AM
I agree with bitsy... I have a one of my creamsicle corns likes to soak in the waterbowl, and she turns pink, too; for a few days before it sheds, the colors go back to normal and then, itll shed and show its beautiful colors.