PDA

View Full Version : EMERGENCY: Corn snake hatchling dying

EMERGENCY: Corn snake hatchling dying

Maratila
08-05-2012, 11:34 PM
I got him as a hatchling at a reptile show like two weeks ago. I should of not boughten him in the first place, but I was being unbelievably stupid.

Anyways, he can barely move, his body is mush, and he's been eating (his last meal he could barely swallow the extra tiny pinkie, it took him a few minutes for it to hit is stomach), but I realize he can't past his stool. He is dead in my hands. I could use him as rope.

Is there anything I can do for him? I don't think a vet would know what to do. I'm keeping the temperature at 85 to 80 degrees, and he doesn't like anything higher or lower than that.

taxman123
08-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Sometimes when my hatchling look like they cant pass there stool I massage by there vent and try and get it out it usually works. As far as the snake it might be to far gone if it is eating that is somewhat of a good sign. Make sure he is drinking water also. Who was the breeder who sold him to you? Was he like that when you bought him? Good Luck

Maratila
08-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've been helping him pass the stool using your method. It's been working so far.

I bought him from the known herp store breeder in my area, which again was really stupid of me. I just didn't want to pass up the opportunity to get another snake (my mom actually approved of this little guy, which is rare. I usually have to pick them up myself and keep them away from her, because she is scared of snakes, but accepting).

The snake (his name is popcorn) was like this when I got him, but I thought I was just being paranoid and he was somewhat more energetic, yet exactly the same, if that makes any sense.

Popcorn can't eat anymore, at least I do not believe so. I'm going to have to get out my feeding tube and start trying that way.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with this? Should I get an antibiotic shot or something at the vet?

susang
08-06-2012, 12:01 AM
How often are you feeding him? How long have you had him? Do you know his weight? What color is he, by chance is he a snow?

Maratila
08-06-2012, 12:09 AM
I feed him once a week to give him time to digest due to his special needs.

My current scale is broken, so I've not weighed him, and he is a Butter Motley, which is why I named him popcorn.

I think my problems are linking to the breeder. He was bit underweight when I bought him and I'm guessing he is having some sort of muscle atrophy.

susang
08-06-2012, 12:20 AM
I got him as a hatchling at a reptile show like two weeks ago. I should of not boughten him in the first place, but I was being unbelievably stupid.

Anyways, he can barely move, his body is mush, and he's been eating (his last meal he could barely swallow the extra tiny pinkie, it took him a few minutes for it to hit is stomach), but I realize he can't past his stool. He is dead in my hands. I could use him as rope.

Is there anything I can do for him? I don't think a vet would know what to do. I'm keeping the temperature at 85 to 80 degrees, and he doesn't like anything higher or lower than that.

I agree you may have purchased a snake with problems. You bought him two weeks ago: so 14 days----5 days to get acclimated to new home---one feed of one pink? more would not be a good idea---- so now we are at 9 days you pushed the poo out of him and you've fed him again and it sounds like more then one pink. You could be over feeding. One pink every 5-7 days should be adequate, increasing size of mouse as snake gets bigger not number of mice.
Is he getting ready to shed, snakes can look clse to dead. I don't understand how such a young snake could be so backed up and hve so little muscle tone????

susang
08-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've been helping him pass the stool using your method. It's been working so far.

I bought him from the known herp store breeder in my area, which again was really stupid of me. I just didn't want to pass up the opportunity to get another snake (my mom actually approved of this little guy, which is rare. I usually have to pick them up myself and keep them away from her, because she is scared of snakes, but accepting).

The snake (his name is popcorn) was like this when I got him, but I thought I was just being paranoid and he was somewhat more energetic, yet exactly the same, if that makes any sense.

Popcorn can't eat anymore, at least I do not believe so. I'm going to have to get out my feeding tube and start trying that way.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with this? Should I get an antibiotic shot or something at the vet?

Much too soon for a feeding tube.
Maybe you should take the snake to the vet, why would a vet give you an antibiotic until it sees the snake? You kind of said something like this in another thread. 'Vet I know gave me antibiotic'

Maratila
08-06-2012, 01:40 AM
Food:
I give him one pinkie every five days. I have no idea why I said "extra". Sorry for the confusion, my mind is just blurred. I definitely think its time for a feeding tube, because I have concluded he is physically unable to eat at this point, and I need to get weight on him.

I gave him a pinkie the first day I got him, because the breeder really insisted, so I decided to go ahead and give him one, which he ate.

Antibiotics: I intern/work for the best reptile veterinarian in the area, and I've known her for years. She treats all of my snakes, and she personally breeds them herself. Considering the situation, she was fine with giving me one antibiotic shot with that snake.

I might bring the snake in for some more thorough examinations, but I really don't think it will help.

Shedding: That is definitely not the case. I know a shedder when I see one. I mean this is literally dead in my hands, like he's alive and tries to move, but can't. I was serious when I said I could use him as a rope.
__

I think I'm just going to have to go ahead and start going self treatment. I don't think anyone else has dealt with this before on the forum that can currently help me. I'm guessing the snake has some serious defect or some horrible stuff done to it by the breeder.

I'll let you guys know if I learn anything about treating snakes like this.

Thanks again :)

Thanks everyone for any help given.

susang
08-06-2012, 01:50 AM
Seriously there are people on this forum that wrote the books on corn snakes. I doubt any of them would tell you to tube feed a snake that is eating. If he isn't eating they can go a long time without food. I'm sorry I don't understand it would be like saying you're eating and we have to give you a laxative to poo. So now I'll stress you by shoving more food down your throat with a tube and the I'll give you another laxative. Oh! and what are the special needs of this snake you've had for two weeks.

taxman123
08-06-2012, 01:58 AM
It dont make sense he ate but needs to be force fed? I dont think eating is the problem here its something . Also it is rude of you to assume no one here knows anything about this. You only posted this today and im sure the members will see it tomorrow and give you any advice you need. But after all if I worked for a Reptile Vet thats the first place I would of took my snake once I purchased it.. Good Luck

Weda737
08-06-2012, 02:04 AM
I dunno... he seems too far gone if he's that limp, but I've seen miracles happen. Best of luck to you, really.

Weda737
08-06-2012, 02:07 AM
Also, I seriously would not tube feed. It will only stress him more and tax what little strength he has left.

AliCat37
08-06-2012, 02:17 AM
WOAH. Okay. To the OP- everyone has given you excellent advise.

The snake IS EATING. Why are you force feeding him!? Even a baby snake can go MONTHS without eating before losing weight. Also, why are you forcing him to poop? Mine don't go every week, if they don't need to go, then they don't need to go. You say you have other snakes, you should know this.

bitsy
08-06-2012, 04:13 AM
Agree with the above. The snake is eating. If it has a serious health problem then it isn't due to lack of food. Hatchlings can go for weeks (even months) without food and still be healthy.

Maybe something ruptured internally when you were forcing him to poop unnecessarily. Hatchlings are terribly fragile - I can't imagine how you'd force one to poop without injuring them, at least in term of breaking ribs.

Maybe he's playing dead because he's scared you'll hurt him.

I'm keeping the temperature at 85 to 80 degrees, and he doesn't like anything higher or lower than that.
How do you know what he "likes"? Instead of trying to guess, you should be providing what he *needs*, which is a temperature gradient from the low 70s on the cool side floor surface, to 85 on the warm side floor. If you give him a suitable temp range with enough hides that he can move around as he needs to without being seen, then he'll be in whatever temp zone he "likes" without you needing to guess what he's thinking.

The wrong temperatures - too hot or too cold - can cause them to stop eating as it will interefere with their digestion.

diamondlil
08-06-2012, 04:56 AM
You forced the snake to pass a stool by squeezing it out like toothpaste? The snake would poop without interference unless it had internal problems. I've never read such an action advised in all my years on here and I'd be willing to bet forcing it to do so could have damaged it internally.
A hatchling that is eating has no need to be tube fed. I have a little experience in this; http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30056&highlight=diamond
In both cases tube feeding was a last resort for hatchlings that were literally starving to death.

Susan
08-06-2012, 07:41 AM
You say the hatchling is eating, but have you looked to see if it has regurged all those meals? You purchased an obviously ill snake to begin with, have obviously been doing your own diagnosing and treatment regime, and now that your snake is on death's door, expect us to come up with a miracle over-night cure. I'm not going to waste any more of my time.

susang
08-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Looking back on this thread and responses to other threads I'm thinking troll. Claims to have other snakes, Mom approved of this one, 'interns' for a vet, My granddaughter with TBI 'interned' at animal shelter, she played with the animals. I can not believe any reputable vet would just give and 'intern' antibiotics without seeing the animal. Topped off by no one here is capable of helping. TROLL TROLL TROLL

jessicashallperish
08-06-2012, 12:09 PM
if this is legit, take the snake back. its most likely got something wrong with it and will not survive.. a limp snake is never good EVER

bitsy
08-06-2012, 12:52 PM
... just don't tell the seller that you squeezed it to make it poop. Chances of a refund/replacement will be nil.

Edited to edit out Nanci's accidental edit!! Sure she'll want to repost that very good point under her own name!