PDA

View Full Version : First Shed

First Shed

DannyBoy15
06-09-2004, 05:46 PM
Hey i just got my new corn about two weeks ago and hes coming up to his first shed because his eyes have just cleared up today from being all hazy and dark. Anyways since last night he started making these wierd kind of popping noises coming from his mouth and im not sure if its from the shedding or possible RI. Right now i have a moist hide in there and im wondering what to do if this isnt a normal thing...

jaws
06-09-2004, 06:27 PM
What I'd do is bring up the heat a little just to be safe, and he'll be shedding in the next day or two so if the popping doesn't stop then you can go from there. And keep watching for other signs of RI.

DannyBoy15
06-10-2004, 12:59 AM
Yeah after reading some posts about how some snakes make that noise when they're about to shed im beginning to get some hope that thats the case here...ill let u know in a day or two.

DannyBoy15
06-12-2004, 12:53 PM
Yup thats exactly what happened. Nice perfect shed and no more clicks are whatever those noises were.Wow hes alot longer than i thought too....i guessed something around 18 inches.....turns out hes 28! ooops.;) well im very relieved now but does anyone know why this only happens to certain snakes?

Cindy
06-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Did you get that new measurement by measuring his cast skin, because I have guessed at my mate being around 4 feet long but her shed skin measures 5 ft, I suspect it stretches as part of the sheding process, can anyone confirm that?

tai_pan1
06-13-2004, 01:26 PM
Yes it does stretch. Usually about 1 1/2 times their real length.

Iris
06-14-2004, 12:11 AM
If you are looking for a relatively accurate way to measure your snake, Serpwidget's snake measuring program is the way to go (if you have a digital camera or something)
http://serpwidgets.com/Apps/apps.html -scroll down a bit
All you need is a pic of your corn taken directly overhead.

MegF.
06-14-2004, 09:41 AM
The measuring program works really well!