PDA

View Full Version : non feeder.. driving me INSANE

non feeder.. driving me INSANE

jessicashallperish
08-06-2012, 12:02 PM
i have a little baby that hatched on june 21st. has not taken a SINGLE meal. ive left her over night with a f/t pinky, covered her up in a dark closet with a ft pinky, drier ride with a pinky, braining, scenting with various things, live, live overnight, cutting in half.. EVERYTHING i could think of other than force feeding. i dont want to force feed her. she hasnt lost any weight since she hatched, shes not dehydrated, she drink just fine, shes super active and pissy like a typical hatchling. i'm tempted to just give her away >:| ive literally done everything. ive offered food at different times of the day and night.. AHHH!! .___. i think i might get a small rat pinky at the next reptile show and try a rat. FUUUUUUUU NON FEEDER

diamondlil
08-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Did you try washing a live pinky with dish soap? Odd I know, but it was the tip that finally worked on Lil

jessicashallperish
08-06-2012, 12:28 PM
yepp, ive washed it, rubbed in it buck mouse pee.. evverything ive rubbed it on my lizard.. ugh

Cat_Eyed_Lady
08-06-2012, 12:43 PM
rolled in rat scented bedding? Try another type of dish soap? Joy and Dawn have been the best that worked for me. Chicken scented? Not just the broth but put a teeny peice in the mouth of the pinkie? "cooked"? (thaw pinkie and then put in almost boiling water for a moment and feed right away)

Dont give up! if none of these have worked or do work... we will just have to come up with some other way :)

jessicashallperish
08-06-2012, 12:45 PM
im hoping she just decides a meal sounds nice one of these times.. lol

diamondlil
08-06-2012, 12:49 PM
If she hasn't lost any weight then there's still a big chance to get her started, but first off I'd say put her in a smallish covered tub for a week, completely undisturbed, no handling at all. Then put a live pink in overnight. Then just check once a day until the pink is either eaten or dies. Adding up all the different tricks you've tried so far here's been a lot of disturbance and in a short space of time.

jessicashallperish
08-06-2012, 12:52 PM
i dont handle the babies at all unless im cleaning their container. shes in a small sandwich type container in my closet. i keep her in there to minimize stress on her.

diamondlil
08-06-2012, 01:22 PM
i dont handle the babies at all unless im cleaning their container. shes in a small sandwich type container in my closet. i keep her in there to minimize stress on her.
That makes sense, after all you're hardly a beginner! Best of luck with her, hopefully she'll give in soon enough

Nanci
08-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Try boiled. It's been working well for a whole bunch of people.

Nanci
08-06-2012, 02:06 PM
I also had one baby this season who ate a pink soaked in chicken fat from a cooked chicken.

Nanci
08-06-2012, 02:07 PM
And- it's super-easy to slide a mouse tail down her to give her some calories while you are trying to find what she wants.

jessicashallperish
08-06-2012, 03:30 PM
i do have some nice fatty pieces of chicken in the freezer the bf wants for dinner.. ill try that. next week if she hasnt eaten by then i may feed a mouse tail.

RobbiesCornField
08-06-2012, 05:18 PM
I can personally recommend the boiled. I had about 6 non-feeders on that it worked fantastically for. Every single one of them ate!

jessicashallperish
08-06-2012, 05:19 PM
can you explain how exactly to do that please?

RobbiesCornField
08-06-2012, 05:20 PM
can you explain how exactly to do that please?

The way I did it was boiled water, and then put it on simmer. I thawed pinks separately from there. I poured the simmering water into a large bowl. I dropped the pinks in there, just long enough to get them searing hot. Because it had been so long since these guys had eaten, I put a bit of Nutribac on there. All of them ate within 10 minutes.

jessicashallperish
08-06-2012, 05:48 PM
that what i do when i thaw all of my pinkies.. :( lol i put a big bowl of water in the microwave until its bubbling lol

RobbiesCornField
08-06-2012, 05:51 PM
that what i do when i thaw all of my pinkies.. :( lol i put a big bowl of water in the microwave until its bubbling lol

You dunk the thawed pinks in the boiling water? Or do you let them thaw in the water?

cornsnakelovah
08-06-2012, 08:40 PM
My ball python won't eat unless I tease feed. Silly question, but did you try that?