PDA

View Full Version : mites mites mites where did they come from help!

mites mites mites where did they come from help!

cornbreadandmilk
08-10-2012, 11:20 PM
came home today to find one of my snake tanks devoured by mites. none of my other tanks have it how could they have gotten in my tank?

what should i do for my snake removed everything from tank cleaning it now so what should i do im scared..

Weda737
08-11-2012, 12:47 AM
There is mite spray specifically for reptile use. I actually used an all natural mite spray for poultry to get rid of the mites on my feeder mice and it worked safely without bothering my snakes at all. You can get it at walmart. Even my pinkies were fine after being drenched in it and I used it on my boa when we had a mite scare, it was only springtails in his cypress mulch but like you I panicked lol

ReptileGeek181
08-11-2012, 01:10 AM
came home today to find one of my snake tanks devoured by mites. none of my other tanks have it how could they have gotten in my tank?

what should i do for my snake removed everything from tank cleaning it now so what should i do im scared..

Have you recently acquired a new snake? I've never had mites but a lot of people highly recommend Provent-A-Mite. Whatever product you use to treat their enclosures make sure you thoroughly read its instruction and warnings label.

cornbreadandmilk
08-11-2012, 06:24 PM
no new snake or anything new actually they dont seem to be attaching to the snake kind wierd only found them in the substrate and water

BloodyBaroness
08-11-2012, 06:27 PM
They could be harmless bugs called springtails which feed on waste and old wood based substrates. Snakes mites are red or black. Periodically cleaning the cage and replacing the substrate can keep the springtails' numbers under control, if that's what they are.

Weda737
08-11-2012, 07:07 PM
I'm gonna laugh so hard if it turns out to be springtails. Only because I know exactly how you feel.

cornbreadandmilk
08-11-2012, 10:35 PM
well they are more ofa tan color so i am guessing spring tails :0