PDA

View Full Version : Herp show

Herp show

brownie55
06-10-2004, 04:07 PM
Is anybody going to the show in Havre de Grace, MD this Saturday? Does anyone know if they tend to be worthwhile? Lots of goodies?

Is it better to buy form a breeder and ship or is it safe to pick up a snake at a show like this? Anything to look for or avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Brownie

p.s. I thought I posted a similar message, but did not see it, so I hope this is not a duplicate.

Jason B.
06-10-2004, 04:43 PM
It's a small show, But worth going to if you havn't been.Wild caught animals are allowed there. I personaly wouldn't buy anything off a table with wild caught snakes on it. There are others there that do a lot of buying and selling ( selling snakes produced by varrious breeders).I would avoid them also. Your best bet is to talk with the merchant make sure they breed the snakes they are selling. Ted thompson comes to mind as one of the better guys there, but there should be several others if you take your time and ask the right questions.
Ps It's a great place to pick up feeders cheap frozen or live

brownie55
06-10-2004, 06:23 PM
That's exactly what I was looking for.

Hope H
06-10-2004, 07:39 PM
Yes, it can be a sweet show. Not real big, but a nice variety. Ricks Exotic Pets is usually there and he is a local breder with very nice cornsnakes. There is another real nice breeder there name Ted from West Va that usually has some nice corns and crested geckos. I have bought from both and have been very pleased. I'm dropping off some Cremesicles this week myself. Good Luck...

Jason B.
06-10-2004, 07:53 PM
Hope H, Ricks exotic pets wont be there. I bought ricks collection this past winter. but thanks I,m glade you like my snakes.

brownie55
06-10-2004, 08:16 PM
Hope H:

So you will be there this weekend? Want to be my guide? I'll buy you a cup of coffee!

Hope H
06-10-2004, 08:53 PM
Griffendor, Congratulations! Is Rick still in business at all? I haven't been to the show since last year and he had some nice Lavenders. I know he was working on Lavendar Stripes then. Will you be selling there at all?
Brownie, It's a very small show but would enjoy meeting another herper. I haven't been there since December 03. Stocked up on mice for the winter. It's a good show for purchasing mice and pinkies.

Jason B.
06-10-2004, 11:07 PM
last I spoke to Rick he was selling his house and moving to be with his wife who is in the military and that is why he sold all of his snakes.He did sell four pairs before I could get a hold of them his 2.2 lavender motleys (darn),1.1 lavenders and 1.1 okeetees. As far as the lav/stripes,He only managed to produce 3. double het. lav. stripe(don't know how that happened, small clutch and bad luck) He alredy had a double het. lav. stripe female and since I have triple het. opal stripes I,m expecting this year I'm going to wiat and see what my sex ratios are at the end of the season. I can't remember his lavenders, but I think they must have been nice. I have four of thier offspring here and I,m keeping all but one.I recently posted a pic. of one in the photo gallery titled lavender extreme aztec( my favorite lav).
I'll only have a table at the all Md. show in fall if I produce enough corns this season to make it worth my while.

Elaphe_Mo
06-11-2004, 08:31 AM
Bill Pabst (Blue Ribbon Herps) is also usually there and he has some really nice corns as well.

Keep in mind, though, this time of year is bound to be kinda slow. The calm before the storm kinda thing. It is too far for me to trek up there every month so I usually wait till at least July/August when there is a better selection of animals.

Always glad to meet more MD herpers! :D

brownie55
06-11-2004, 10:07 AM
So it would be better to wait if I am looking to add to my collection? Is that because more new hatchlings will be available then? It has been noted that this is a small show. Is there a bigger/better one that is a day trip from the DC area?

Maybe I'll wait, just head back to PetSmart for another supply of frozen corn snake chow and go later.

But Hope H, you said you were dropping off creamsicles (sp)? Are they pre-sold? So thare must be snakes available. And I can't say I am really looking to buy. Just thought I would see what one of these shows was like. I am so confused, lol.

BTW I don't consider myself a herper yet. Just a newbie/wannabe with a little corn and a hand-me-down bearded dragon. Looking to learn a lot from you fine people. You have been most generous with your knowledge and time.

Brownie

Jason B.
06-11-2004, 03:31 PM
Bill Pabst got out of corns recently also.

brownie55
06-11-2004, 11:45 PM
I'll probably end up going tomorrow. If you see a big guy there looking like he wants one of each and two of some, it's likely me....